Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   How can I start multiple instance of an application (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/139008-how-can-i-start-multiple-instance-application.html)

yinglcs 01-27-2009 07:19 PM

How can I start multiple instance of an application

Hi,

I am new to MAC. How can I start multiple instance of an application?
e.g. I have a 'Terminal' application, a 'TextEdit' application in my dock.

When I click the icon, 1 instance get starts. But when I click the icon again,
it just raise the window of the application that I started. How can I have another instance of the application that I started?

Thank you.

torchy 01-27-2009 07:24 PM

Nope: Not on a Mac. One instance only.

You can bring up more windows of most apps.
TextEdit. File > New or use the quick keys 'command n' as often as necessary which has worked with all the apps I have tried it with.

yinglcs 01-27-2009 07:30 PM

Thank you.

Can you please tell me how can I configure 'Terminal' to always use 'Homebrew' color scheme?

Now, I need to do 'New Window->Homebrew'

Thank you.

torchy 01-27-2009 07:50 PM

Terminal > Preferences > New window with settings > drop down arrow.> Homebrew.

new window command n

The application preferences are always under their name on the menu bar.

t0nyb 07-13-2009 03:23 PM

i was wondering about instancing apps as well. separate instances of the same app as opposed to different windows. i don't think this is possible but because of my limited knowledge, i have to ask.

-tonyb

xstep 07-13-2009 04:19 PM

This may be possible (via a hack of duplicating the application) but not recommended since the duplicated open applications would all be messing with the same preferences file.

russell23 07-13-2009 08:01 PM

@ torchy,

I have had multiple instances of a same application running in my Leopard 10.5.7. (But, I did not intentionally started them).

Could you shed some light, on how does this has happened?

Thanks in advance.

xstep 07-14-2009 02:07 AM

I don't recall seeing OS X launch an application twice without that app being duplicated first. So I'm unsure how you could have done that rusell23.

russell23 09-29-2009 12:27 AM

In fact, I haven't done intentionally. But, I saw two safari application icons in the dock with white light (spot) glowing under each of them, indicating both of them are running.

Unfortunately or fortunately, after my upgrade the problem solved. So I cannot reproduce the same condition to post a screen shot.

mac02138 02-10-2012 12:47 PM

Multiple instances possible

The short answer: Yes, it is possible to have multiple instances. Just open terminal and type:

open -n /Applications/[app name].app

For more in-depth explanation, check out:
Open More Than One Instance Of An App | Mac Tricks And Tips

If you need this often, you could make an applescript that would let you select the application and run a new instance of it.

Hope this helps.

Slydude 02-10-2012 08:59 PM

Thanks for that tip. I've been doing it with multple copies of the few freeware apps I run this way.