New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Best way to Copy data on a single dvd to both a Mac and a PC?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wtdedula

wtdedula is on a distinguished road

Hello All;
I am fairly new to the Mac though I've used a PC for a long time. I am trying to solve a problem. I need to release a whole bunch of data for the PC and Mac on a series of four DVD's. An easy solution would be to create an individual set of four DVD's (Each) for the PC and Mac for a total of 8 DVD's. However, since the data for both formats is identical, I'd rather release a series of four DVD's rather than 8 with an a separate executable for each format to install on each machine.

I've already gotten this to work using the following shell script ...

cp -r "/Volumes/East 0N-75N/data" "/Applications/marsflight.app/Contents/MacOS"

However, it seems as you need Terminal to run this even after you set the execute bit and I'd rather give users an executable program they can just click on (without going through terminal) ? Is there any way to do this ?

I have also thought of going through Applescript but can't figure out the syntax. Here's what I have so far ...

tell application "Finder" to duplicate folder "/Volumes/East 0N-75N/data" to folder "/Applications/marsflight.app/Contents/MacOS"
end tell

I have four disks to copy into the same directory. Using Finder, each set if files is replaced which I don't want ... I want all directories and files appended to the previous.

Any ideas, thoughts, etc ... ?

Tim
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Just use burning software to create a data DVD that's compatible with both Macs and PCs. Toast is obviously the best, but costs money. You could also look into Burn, which is free.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I'm confused as to why disk utility and burn folders would be considered 'mac only'. The file system for DVD's is standardized, as are CD's.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtdedula View Post

Any ideas, thoughts, etc ... ?

Tim
Several.

First, you can never be sure that a Mac user has admin rights. So you have no way of knowing whether they will even be able to write to the Applications folder in the first place.

Second, you can never be sure that they will have a particular application installed in the Applications folder. It may be in their personal Applications folder, or somewhere else entirely. There is no rule that applications will be (or will stay) in /Applications.

Thirdly, Apple has a free and fully functional Installer and packaging system, which is how Mac users will expect software updates to be delivered.

If you try to build your own installer or updater out of chewing gum and twine, your users/customers will notice. Spend the extra few hours necessary to read the documentation and build a proper installer. Your product will look much more professional as a result.

Software Delivery Guide: Introduction
QUOTE Thanks
wtdedula

wtdedula is on a distinguished road

Hello All;
Thanks for all of your helpful responses. I have a few comments and more questions.

First,Dysfunction - I probably need to clarify things. I never consider a CD or DVD to be Mac-Only. I realize that data can be written on it using either a PC or a Mac and both can read them as well. My goal for this project is to have one set of data and then create a small installer program for both formats on the same disk that can be used to install them.

Kash - I may very well consider Toast since I heard it hides files that won't run on the system you're currently using.

And ... technologist - That's quite a message with lots of good tips. I have a few questions ... and some comments.

1) Do you need Admin rights to install any software or files ? If so, this would be an issue for me no matter how and what method I use to get the files to the users computer.

2) ¥our second point isn't quite true in my particular case. I am using a Mac software installer to place my application in a particular place (The "Applications" directory) in the root directory on the system hard drive.

3) I have used a professional software installer (Filestorm Pro) to install my main application though I am trying to create a single disk that can install the data on either a PC or a Mac for the application.

I would like suggested ways I can create a utility that copies the files on a DVD to a Mac in a particular location.

Tim
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtdedula View Post
1) Do you need Admin rights to install any software or files ? If so, this would be an issue for me no matter how and what method I use to get the files to the users computer.
You do need Admin rights to modify the /Applications folder and certain other system folders. Individual users' Applications folders (~/Applications) can be modified by those users no matter what.

Quote:
2) ¥our second point isn't quite true in my particular case. I am using a Mac software installer to place my application in a particular place (The "Applications" directory) in the root directory on the system hard drive.
Still, that doesn't mean that the user won't rearrange, rename, or move the file after installation.

So long as they're not actual executable files, they might be better placed in the Application Support folder, or something similar.
File System Overview: Where to Put Application Files

Quote:
3) I have used a professional software installer (Filestorm Pro) to install my main application though I am trying to create a single disk that can install the data on either a PC or a Mac for the application.

I would like suggested ways I can create a utility that copies the files on a DVD to a Mac in a particular location.

Tim
I know that the Apple installer and PackageMaker allow you to cue up multiple DVDs in sequence. I don't know how the DVDs could be set up so that they'd also be available to the Windows installer (.msi ?) at the same time, but I imagine it could be done.

I'd still advise against using a proprietary installer, but if you're going that route, hopefully the vendor will support you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac RAID software? | help! Updates killed my ibook! »