New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Emac OSX and Retail version OSX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jucawho

I have a powerbook pismo and I've been wanting to upgrade it to osx...so I tried installing the from the cds that came on my G5...hte laptop doesn't even recognize them ! So I took a look at ebay and there's a lot of people selling osx installing disks! Now...would the Emac osx version install on my powerbook g3 pismo just like the universal installer (retail version) would??? Thanx so much
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I don't know for sure, but I would get the retail copy. Then you know it will install.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

The OS X disks that are issued for specific models will not install on other models. Get the retail version. It may cost more but you'll save yourself a lot of frustration. However, before you shell out the $$$ for OS X you might want to check how much memory and hard drive space you have available. OS X needs a minimum of 128 mgs of RAM and a lot of HD space. Since the Pismo is a G3 it may end up costing more than you wish to spend on an older model like that.
QUOTE Thanks
Jucawho

Thank Y'all for your help...I think I 'm just gonna go with the retail version then!!! I have 640MB of ram on my pismo and I have a 30GB hard drive do you think it will work fine with osx???
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Actually doesn't the G5 come with OS X on a DVD not a CD?

Probably the pismo just can't read dvds?

If that's the problem you might be able to take the salient contents of the dvd and pack it onto a cd and try using that!
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
The OS X disks that are issued for specific models will not install on other models.
That's not necessarily true. I was able to install Jaguar without any problems on my Beige G3 AIO using my iBook's original software CD's (after upgrading the iBook to Panther).

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Actually doesn't the G5 come with OS X on a DVD not a CD?

Probably the pismo just can't read dvds?
Not being very familiar with the Pismo, this was the first thing I thought of too. However, after checking out the specs at Apple-History.com, it appears the machine does indeed have a DVD-ROM drive.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jucawho
Thank Y'all for your help...I think I 'm just gonna go with the retail version then!!! I have 640MB of ram on my pismo and I have a 30GB hard drive do you think it will work fine with osx???
With that much RAM and disk space you shouldn't have a problem. You can do a minimal OS X install which will take about a gig or you can do a standard install for about 3.5 gigs. A G3 will be slower than newer models but it should still perform well and the stability of X offsets any performance issues.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone here got Linux on their systems? | What is a Rendezvous website? »