New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook - Mac Panic attack

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrsMacGirl

MrsMacGirl is on a distinguished road

this is my first week of nursing school and we have all this software, PDA stuff, and ebooks we needed to load on the Mac. Most of it is fine on a Mac, but it was suggested if we had a Mac to use a virtual PC because some of the programs only run on Windows. Everything was fine today until I went to install Windows using VMWare Fusion. Now my computer has crashed, I am stuck on the gray screen.... no scrolling wheel or anything! I've tried holding the shift key, the alt key... No luck. I am panicking because on top of the Macbook, I have spent $1300 on books alone and this is my life on this laptop. I do not have the money to be throwing around to fix this if it needs to be fixed, I'm a full time student and my school was adament about not working during this program. It's been more than a year since I bought this computer so not under warranty anymore... I am panicking!!! Everything is backed up so that is fine and I still have the software for the books... but I might just have a breakdown if this computer doesn't start up.

Any suggestions? I am beside myself. It's just not been my day at all....
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Did the machine crash during the Windows installation after Fusion was installed and you created the VM, or did it crash when you were installing Fusion itself?

Anyway, Try this first from the Apple KB.

If that doesn't work to get you back up, boot the MacBook with your original install media. Run Disk Utility from the top menu and select First Aid.

Verify the hard drive and do the hardware test.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
MrsMacGirl

When I was installing Windows is when it crashed. I will try that, thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
MrsMacGirl

Still kind of panicking... I was finally able to boot it up and put the install disk in. Everything I have is backed up on Time Machine/Time Capsule, since I learned the hard way the first time. The first time my Mac died on me and I was stuck on the white screen with the rolling wheel of doom, I took it to the Genius Bar and they told me I needed a new hard drive. This was about a year ago. So I have a new hard drive, and now it's crashed on me again?!? I take good care of my Macbook, it's my baby. I don't know why it hates me!

Anyways, right now it is in Disk Utilities, repairing Disk so hopefully it will go well. Otherwise I have an appointment with the genius bar again tomorrow. Unfortunately, I am only now finding out about this Apple Care business (the Macbook was a gift and I am a new Apple user), and I am past the 1 year warranty... I don't know how much this might hurt my pocketbook if I do need it fixed I don't suppose I could buy Apple Care now. Woe is me...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Don't fret. If it turns out to be the hard drive again, we'll lend you a hand in changing it out yourself. It's really not difficult to do in a MacBook. Apple even has step by step instructions posted on their site that show how to do it.

You were very wise to use Time Machine to back everything up. It may be inconvenient to swap out the hard drive and get all your data back to where it should be, but consider how it would be without a backup.

Since your MacBook is past the warranty period, Apple Care is no longer an option. The only care it now has is your TLC.

Let us know.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
MrsMacGirl

Disk Utility did not work. I tried to go to the Genius Bar today, but somehow they did not have my online reservation from last night and I was turned away. boo hoo! After reading some posts on the forum about this problem, I decided to buy Disk Warrior while I was there.

I was getting the flashing question mark folder thing. I put in Disk Warrior and it's supposed to be rebuilding the directory right now. I think it might be working...? I am crossing my fingers. I am getting the scrolling beach ball of death, but it says "speed reduced by disk malfunction: 69" - and the number changes every couple of minutes, so I think it's ok. I tried calling DW support but of course! They are not open today.

I am not feeling SO bad because I know Time Machine/Time Capsule has everything that I really need backed up. I would highly recommend it to any Mac user! The wireless and automatic backing up is worth every penny for the Time Capsule.

I am glad I have you guys, and if it's the HD again I think I'll be ok with a little help! I don't know what it is, but I think this Macbook just does not get along with me.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Sounds like you're on top of it. Let us know if you need any assistance if a hard drive swap out turns out to be the only way.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
MrsMacGirl

Disk Warrior has been running since Saturday afternoon. That's about 2 days now! Every once and I while, I heard the disk drive or something in there making noise, not at regular intervals though. Disk Warrior is currently still Rebuilding directory, at step 5 "locating directory data. It says "speed reduced by disk malfunctions: 8,000!!!" I am thinking about stopping it, and cancelling. The Disk Warrior site said it might take 2 days, other sites have said it took up to 4 days! I am getting this sinking feeling that it's the HD fried again... My second since I got the Macbook just a little over a year ago!!!

Should I start looking at replacing the HD? Seems like the best option. Where do I get a new HD, and how do I know which one to get?

Edited to add: When I boot up the computer without DW, I am still getting the flashing ? folder and I can't get to Disk Utilities.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Yep the HDD is failing or failed if DiskWarrior is taking this long. Alas 2.5" notebooks work much harder that a desktop HDD and DiskWarrior should finalise within 45 minutes or so. Sorry to bring you such bad news.
QUOTE Thanks
MrsMacGirl

It's ok... I am getting over it. I just want to move onto the next step ASAP so I can use my laptop for class again.

After doing some research, apparently many Macbooks have had this problem with the bad HD. I think what happened was my first HD failed, and that was under warranty so Apple fixed it... but replaced it with a new but same type of HD, which has now failed again. My first HD failed after 6 months... and now it is 6 months after the replacement that this HD has failed.

So, I am ready to replace this thing by myself so I can get on with my life! Where do I start???
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I think this is the type of MacBook you have?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf (1,002.6 KB, 9 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MrsMacGirl

Yup! That's the one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What OS shoul I get for my what os runs on the power mac g4 m5183? | ibook G4 blue screen error »