New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Disk Images

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Disk Images just keep coming up. They're probably the most problematic, un-intuitive part of using Mac OS X, whether you're switching from Windows or new to computers alltogether.

We desperately, desperately need a sticky about DMG's. Something with a good writeup that includes 1) a basic background into what they are 2)How to install software, eject, and then delete them and 3) pictures of a .dmg icon and a mounted image icon.

As proof of the need for this thing, I offer the following links:

How to uninstall software
(This poor guy was especially confused, and it took a while to figure out what was wrong.)
Installing Netscape Browser
My first iBook
messenger icon on desktop
regarding those "white harddrives" on the desktop
New User - iBook g4
Desktop question
onyX help
Simple switcher question!
Finally have it!

It's not these people's fault. DMGs are confusing: they're not a natural behavior, they're usually not explained well, and they require several steps on the part of the user. So please, mods, give the newbies a sticky, and give the rest of us a good writeup to point them to.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I'm moving this to a more appropriate forum. The suggestion forum is for Mac-Forums.com suggestions. We're not Apple

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Ah my bad. One thing we do have planned is a FAQ forum. This is a good suggestion to include there. Thanks!

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

@off topic@it could be called mac faq or something.

@back on topic@
I have noticed that people have trouble with disk images, the only reason I got good at them and had no trouble when moving from os 9 to os x was cause I started using osx for the first time in os 10.2, Id seen .dmgs online and tried to use them, but theyd never work, os x only, so I did a lot of research on them so once Id switch to os x, Id be ready.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerPC10.2.5 Firewire Issue | Experienced Network Help Needed... »