New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Leopard vs. snow leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

morganm

morganm is on a distinguished road

I have a 3 year old macbook, with Tiger OS X. I want to update the OS and I was wondering if I should go ahead and get Leopard or wait until whenever Snow Leopard comes out. I'm not in a huge hurry (Tiger is working Ok for me right now, just not great), but I don't want to wait forever. Also I'm a broke college student and I'm not sure how much Snow Leopard is going to cost. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Tough call right now. Very little is known about Snow Leopard in the way of concrete facts. If you can afford to wait, I would. Leopard offers a lot of new features, but none that I would consider Earth-shattering for one that is satisfied with Tiger.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
stormbound

stormbound is on a distinguished road

I'd wait to see what Snow Leopard brings.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Snow Leopard promises to take up a smaller footprint and run more efficiently than Leopard. You may find that Snow Leopard runs better than Leopard would on a 3 year old machine.

When did Apple switch from PPC to Intel? It has to be an Intel machine.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The changeover was during 2006

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
morganm

Thanks, I'm probably going to wait then. My computer has Intel so it can run Leopard and all that
QUOTE Thanks
breadfan35

breadfan35 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganm View Post
I have a 3 year old macbook, with Tiger OS X. I want to update the OS and I was wondering if I should go ahead and get Leopard or wait until whenever Snow Leopard comes out. I'm not in a huge hurry (Tiger is working Ok for me right now, just not great), but I don't want to wait forever. Also I'm a broke college student and I'm not sure how much Snow Leopard is going to cost. Any suggestions?
This is what I was wondering. I have Tiger right now on my Mac Pro, but Leopard on my Macbook. I like the features of Leopard and want to put it on my Mac Pro, but I don't NEED it so I was wondering if I should wait for Snow Leopard.

My real question was whether Snow Leopard was just going to be an update, or a whole new OS that will need to be bought and installed. If it was just an update, I'd get Leopard now and update when it comes down, but it seems to be a new OS.

QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I am pretty sure you are going to have to buy it, so just wait patiently, after all Tiger is still a fantastic OS

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
ninjaslim

ninjaslim is on a distinguished road

You're going to have to buy it. It's internally known as 10.6 anyway.

"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity."
MacBook Pro (Darwin 9), iMac (Darwin 9), iPod Touch (Darwin 9), Dell Optiplex GX620 (FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE)
QUOTE Thanks
morganm

Yeah I was also curious if Snow Leopard was just an update to Leopard and you had to already have Leopard. But it definitely sounds like Snow Leopard is it's own OS. I guess there's nothing to do but wait and see.
QUOTE Thanks
epb

epb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1066 Mhz DDR3 RAM, OS X 10.8.2

Quote:
I have a Macbook like yours (same age anyway) and I am going to wait and see what Snow Leopard brings. I hope though, that Snow Leopard will support our Macbooks from 2006 that only runs 32-bit. I think it will be a big mistake by Apple to "discard" 2,5 year old computers because they can't be upgraded. I know that our computers will run fine with 10.4 and 10.5 but eventually we will bump into software that cannot run on our machines because the software needs 10.6 to run...
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Apple doesn't do "updates" to non pro apps.
OS X, iLife, iWork have never had "update" versions, only full versions.

Personally, I believe 10.6 is still a fair way out yet, so you might be waiting a while. Having said that I wouldn't upgrade to 10.5 at this time, unless I needed it for a certain app.
QUOTE Thanks
neocoyote

neocoyote is on a distinguished road

I bought Snow Leopard upgrade today. I own a Macbook pro with intel core 2 duo 2.33 ghz, 2gb. I tried doing the upgrade from Tiger and it doesn't work. Installation will get stuck during boot with gear spinning. I've tried different steps from pressing C key and option key. It will not work from Tiger to Snow Leopard upgrade, will need to get the Box Set.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
TMy computer has Intel so it can run Leopard and all that
I know someone with a Core 2 processor who's wondering about Snow Leopard. I think it will run, just not as fast as on a Core 2 Duo processor. I haven't seen that addressed specifically anywhere. How 'bout it?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail Delete then open next message | MBP (MB Al) Video Out modes not working »