Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   Leopard vs. snow leopard (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/135926-leopard-vs-snow-leopard.html)

morganm 01-05-2009 02:59 PM

Leopard vs. snow leopard
 
I have a 3 year old macbook, with Tiger OS X. I want to update the OS and I was wondering if I should go ahead and get Leopard or wait until whenever Snow Leopard comes out. I'm not in a huge hurry (Tiger is working Ok for me right now, just not great), but I don't want to wait forever. Also I'm a broke college student and I'm not sure how much Snow Leopard is going to cost. Any suggestions?

cwa107 01-05-2009 03:51 PM

Tough call right now. Very little is known about Snow Leopard in the way of concrete facts. If you can afford to wait, I would. Leopard offers a lot of new features, but none that I would consider Earth-shattering for one that is satisfied with Tiger.

stormbound 01-05-2009 03:55 PM

I'd wait to see what Snow Leopard brings.

Jaygray 01-05-2009 03:59 PM

Snow Leopard promises to take up a smaller footprint and run more efficiently than Leopard. You may find that Snow Leopard runs better than Leopard would on a 3 year old machine.

When did Apple switch from PPC to Intel? It has to be an Intel machine.

louishen 01-05-2009 04:03 PM

The changeover was during 2006

morganm 01-05-2009 04:15 PM

Thanks, I'm probably going to wait then. My computer has Intel so it can run Leopard and all that :)

breadfan35 01-11-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganm (Post 782057)
I have a 3 year old macbook, with Tiger OS X. I want to update the OS and I was wondering if I should go ahead and get Leopard or wait until whenever Snow Leopard comes out. I'm not in a huge hurry (Tiger is working Ok for me right now, just not great), but I don't want to wait forever. Also I'm a broke college student and I'm not sure how much Snow Leopard is going to cost. Any suggestions?

This is what I was wondering. I have Tiger right now on my Mac Pro, but Leopard on my Macbook. I like the features of Leopard and want to put it on my Mac Pro, but I don't NEED it so I was wondering if I should wait for Snow Leopard.

My real question was whether Snow Leopard was just going to be an update, or a whole new OS that will need to be bought and installed. If it was just an update, I'd get Leopard now and update when it comes down, but it seems to be a new OS.

louishen 01-11-2009 03:44 PM

I am pretty sure you are going to have to buy it, so just wait patiently, after all Tiger is still a fantastic OS

ninjaslim 01-12-2009 02:00 PM

You're going to have to buy it. It's internally known as 10.6 anyway.

morganm 01-18-2009 09:36 PM

Yeah I was also curious if Snow Leopard was just an update to Leopard and you had to already have Leopard. But it definitely sounds like Snow Leopard is it's own OS. I guess there's nothing to do but wait and see.

epb 01-31-2009 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganm (Post 782057)
I have a 3 year old macbook, with Tiger OS X. I want to update the OS and I was wondering if I should go ahead and get Leopard or wait until whenever Snow Leopard comes out. I'm not in a huge hurry (Tiger is working Ok for me right now, just not great), but I don't want to wait forever. Also I'm a broke college student and I'm not sure how much Snow Leopard is going to cost. Any suggestions?

I have a Macbook like yours (same age anyway) and I am going to wait and see what Snow Leopard brings. I hope though, that Snow Leopard will support our Macbooks from 2006 that only runs 32-bit. I think it will be a big mistake by Apple to "discard" 2,5 year old computers because they can't be upgraded. I know that our computers will run fine with 10.4 and 10.5 but eventually we will bump into software that cannot run on our machines because the software needs 10.6 to run... :(

Aptmunich 01-31-2009 08:10 AM

Apple doesn't do "updates" to non pro apps.
OS X, iLife, iWork have never had "update" versions, only full versions.

Personally, I believe 10.6 is still a fair way out yet, so you might be waiting a while. Having said that I wouldn't upgrade to 10.5 at this time, unless I needed it for a certain app.

neocoyote 09-05-2009 01:43 AM

Upgrade Macbook Pro with tiger to snow leopard doest not work
 
I bought Snow Leopard upgrade today. I own a Macbook pro with intel core 2 duo 2.33 ghz, 2gb. I tried doing the upgrade from Tiger and it doesn't work. Installation will get stuck during boot with gear spinning. I've tried different steps from pressing C key and option key. It will not work from Tiger to Snow Leopard upgrade, will need to get the Box Set.

toMACsh 09-05-2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganm (Post 782131)
TMy computer has Intel so it can run Leopard and all that :)

I know someone with a Core 2 processor who's wondering about Snow Leopard. I think it will run, just not as fast as on a Core 2 Duo processor. I haven't seen that addressed specifically anywhere. How 'bout it?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.