New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Mac OS X Leopard System Restore

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

variouspixels

variouspixels is on a distinguished road

Hi All

About to system restore my Mac OS X Leopard laptop.

Some questions:

(I have Time Machine)
How do I restore all my Emails and RSS feeds after System Restore?

If I drag and drop my Firefox3 icon from Time Machine to Apps after System Restore will I have all my old FF plugins, toolbars, etc

Also, Im sure Im going to regret this but it needs done. has anyone restored their system before? can you point out anything i should consider before doing a restore?

many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Once you finish installing OS X, you'll be prompted to run the Migration Assistant. Do so, then choose the option to migrate documents/data/settings from a Time Machine backup.

Also, do note that most UNIX-based operating systems never require a reinstall. This is a bad habit that many who are used to life with Windows routinely do. Since there is no registry with OS X, there is no "Windows rot". A reinstall is not usually ever necessary unless there is a hardware failure, or unless someone has purposely undermined the OS (very difficult to do).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

When using the migration assistant do you have options on what is transfered? Can you choose not to reinstall certain programs and settings?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakineyj View Post
When using the migration assistant do you have options on what is transfered? Can you choose not to reinstall certain programs and settings?
It does give you some options, but I don't believe it's so granular that you can pick and choose what specific settings to copy and what not to.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mysterious black borders | safari 4 »