New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - sonybmg.com

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mboy

mboy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook 120GB

Hi,

Excuses if this comes across a bit paranoid, but I'm interested in your feedback:

As I was ripping some CDs for my ipod, I remembered something I'd read about the Sony Rootkit hassle of a few years ago, so I thought I'd check to see if any of my CDs were on the list.

So I checked the entry on Wikipedia, and clicked on the 2 links at the bottom of the page - one to 'List of titles affected by MediaMax' which links to sonybmg.com, and the other to 'List of titles affected by XCP' which links to cp.sonybmg.com.

The first link takes you thru to an amateurish-looking page which gives the list of CDs, but looks cheaply made, with a gray haze covering half the screen.

So anyway, the ripping of my CDs had been going on the background, and I noticed that the speed of ripping had dropped from about 14x to about 7x.

Now, was this due to me using a browser at the same time? The speed didn't pick up when i closed the browser. Or should I be concerned that I've picked up something from a dodgy site? Later I checked out the sonybmg.com main page and all I got was a blank page, nothing there.

Like I say, I'm probably being paranoid & stupid, but your comments will be welcome.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Ripping Bit rate can vary widelly depending on what other tasks are going on and the complexity of the music currently being converted.

Also you have not picked anything up from those sites, any attempt to run an installer ecript on OX S X would bring up a request for your Username and Password

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
mboy

Thanks - that's what I thought, but since then I've also had problems posting messages to another forum - I get a message saying 'failed due to technical problems' - and then when I try to visit the 'Guardian' newspaper website I get a system security message saying 'the information you have entered is about to be sent over an unsecured connection... etc.', which I never had from that website before - I thought that should only come up sometimes when I've actually entered some information, like doing a search or suchlike?
Anyway, I'll see how it goes. Cheers for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
mboy

....well that message got posted ok with no technical problems....hmmmm, perhaps it's not to do with my laptop after all and I'm reading too much into things.
QUOTE Thanks
mboy

...and the security message only comes up if I've got Javascript turned on. So that explains that. Whew, panic over.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fyi | Cannot install a programme »