Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    camino1
    Dialup Modem won't disconnect
    From time to time I have to restart because the modem gets stuck in the "disconnect" mode. Is there an alternative to restarting?

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    Can you do a force quit?

camino1
    It doesn't work. I have even tried to logout and back in after a force quit attempt, but I still have tp restart.

Specs:
    Wow very strange.. have you tried an apple kbase search on your problem?

camino1
    What is that?

Specs:
    Sorry.. kbase means Knowledge Base it used to be where apple had their support documents.. now you can go here http://www.info.apple.com/ and do a search on your problems

camino1
    Thanks. Just searched there, but no answers.

Specs:
    It sounds like you have a bad modem.. or you need to change your connection script.. which you'll have to ask someone else about that one, because I have done it, but I am most definitely not good at it.. Is this the default modem or did you put it in yourself? If it is the default modem I would talk to your Apple dealer and see what can be done.

Cheers!

camino1
    It is the internal modem that came with the PowerBook G4. Do you think it would help if I just changed, say, from v.90 to v.92?

Specs:
    My guess is... possible.. I don't know for sure though.. it's worth trying..

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Don't think you can change out the modem on the Powerbook. I think it is part of the main/mother board.

Specs:
    ahh ok well there you go!

camino1
    Do you know if there is a way to reset the modem like on the G3?

camino1
    Smile I think I found a solution at macsonly.com
    Fixes for Apple Modem Disconnect Issue: Some of Apple's computers, if not all by now, use a software internal modem which has a severe disconnect issue with the Apple Internal 56K Modem (v.90) script at least since Mac OS X 10.2.4, if not earlier. The issue is that the modem unexpectedly hangs up almost immediately after making what appears to be a solid connection. We have had that problem with our PowerBook G4 800 since we got it last June and we still have it with Mac OS X 10.2.5 which once again installed duplicate sets of modem scripts, the source of our problem.

One workaround that has worked for us is to select the Apple Internal 56K Modem (v.34) script instead of the v.90 script. Doing this reduces the maximum connection speed to 33.6K but that is of no concern in many places where only a 24-33.6K connection can be made anyway--many motel rooms.

We have another solution that works for us and it retains the 56K (actually 53K) potential connection speed. We found this solution on a forum/list somewhere last year. First note that there are two Modem Scripts folders, one in in the root Library folder and another in the System->Library folder. The latter only has the three Apple Internal 56K Modem scripts for v.34, v.90 and v.92. The former has many modem scripts, including the very same three Apple Internal 56K Modem scripts for v.34, v.90 and v.92. The solution that works for us is:
    1. Make another folder at the drive's root level (we named it "ExtraModemScripts"),

2. Move the three scripts from the Library->Modem Scripts folder (not the System->Library->Mdeom Scripts folder) to the new folder,

3. Reboot,
    4. Reselect the Apple Internal 56K Modem (v.90) script in the System Preferences Networking preference panel under the Modem tab and click the "Apply" button. If the (v.90) is already selected, then select another, click "Apply", reselect it and hit "Apply".

Try it, it worked for us on every Mac OS X update, including 10.2.5. The just-released 10.2.6 does not install new modem scripts.

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Would you happen to be running any Norton firewall software?
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

Thread Information