New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - My Leopard Disc on Girlfriends Mac?? HELP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macbuntu

macbuntu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unichrome MacBook 2.4 ghz. OS X / Arch linux

Is it possible? Hello all:

I have the Macbook Core Duo 2.4 13-Inch (Black) and both the installation disks that came with it. I recently purchased my girlfriend a MacBook Core Duo 1.83 13-Inch (White) off of ebay, hers did not come with any OS disks or anything. So I wanted to do a clean install for her for various reasons, but when I boot from My leopard disk to reformat and re-install on her laptop I get something like "Cannot install this software on this computer." Is this not possible to use other Leopard Disks, like windoze licensing, to install on another computer? And ideas/
This is where I purchased her Mac (Scroll down):

Apple MacBook 13.3" 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo X-CND! L@@K! - eBay (item 110302696599 end time Oct-22-08 12:52:14 PDT)
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

You'll need matching media. Your leopard disk is a restore disk, for your Mac. The hardware is not the same, so it won't work. Call Apple, buy a disk.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
macbuntu

OK. Even though it says "MAC OS X Installation Disc 1" & "2" on the disc's?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Restore discs are tied to a specific model, and since the two computers you have aren't identical, your set won't work on her computer. You'll need to either get a replacement set from Apple (or just get the seller to send the discs) or buy a retail copy of Leopard, which works on all Macs.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
macbuntu

Thanks Kash. That was the answer/confirmation I was looking for.
QUOTE Thanks
truongton82

truongton82 is on a distinguished road

You can setup leopard retail disc from Apple or you can seach on web to purchase this disc. I think that: you will need it, because this disc will compatible with all of macbook model. You just need insert disc and process install normally.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

even if they were identical, it would be illegal.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« virus problem? | iPhoto: Hidden images? »