New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook - Hard Disk space decreased!! HELP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

livelong

livelong is on a distinguished road

Hi I bought a 13in macbook, 2.4Ghz duo core, 4GB RAM upgrade, 160GB 5400-rpm harddrive, Super drive.

Apparently as seen in the screen shot, my disk capacity has decreased to 148.7GB. As seen in disc utility, Capacity: 148.7GB (159,697,911,808 Bytes). The one in bracket is my original capacity! but why is it restricted!!

How do I restore it back to original capacity?
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 2.png (502.2 KB, 18 views)
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

Ok this is a problem with the way hardware manufactures and computers count memory.

To a hardware manufacture, they count a gig as 1000MB and a computer count it as 1024MB. So it is a 160GB HDD to a hardware company and 148.7GB to a computer. Either way you look at it you have enough space but is sure is annoying. My 320GB is 298GB.

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Ahh, the eternal question.

159,697,911,808 Bytes = 159.7 GB or 160 GB rounded off in Base 10 as reported by drive manufacturers.

159,697,911,808 Bytes = 148.7GB in Base 2 used by computers.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
livelong

I don't get it? The computer can detects its 159,697,911,808 Bytes, but it allows me to use 148.7GB? it's 12GB DIFFERENCE, it's way too much! So there's nothing wrong with the hard drive or anything? I did use bootcamp before and restored the partition, maybe it could be I did something wrong and the disk partitioned away invisible space?

Is there anyway I can use the full 160GB?
What's base 10 and 2 anyway?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Suggest asking your math teacher.

In Base 2, the way computers calculate:
1024 bytes = 1 KB
1024 KB = 1 MB
1024 MB = 1 GB
1 GB =1,073,741,824 bytes

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
livelong

So I didn't lose any space? I do remember when I first partitioned the mac for bootcamp, it was 80 80, now it's 74 74.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

You definately didn't lose any space.
Maths aside I've never, ever (in 20 years of system building) seen a hard disk on unix, OSX, windows, dos etc etc that had the 'advertised' disk space figure fully available to use in a formatted state.

Can't explain why you saw 80 80 (mis-remebered?). Can you recreate and screenshot that?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
livelong

I can't partition equally now because my mac side doesn't have enough space. The capacity is still 148GB. B&O's Space is 298GB of a 320GB harddrive. why is there such a little difference and mine a 12GB difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&O View Post
Ok this is a problem with the way hardware manufactures and computers count memory.

To a hardware manufacture, they count a gig as 1000MB and a computer count it as 1024MB. So it is a 160GB HDD to a hardware company and 148.7GB to a computer. Either way you look at it you have enough space but is sure is annoying. My 320GB is 298GB.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I fail to see what you mean, it's all the same number of bytes (159,697,911,808 of them). Period. It's just a difference in how it's expressed to humans.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Tofuik

Tofuik is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @7200// iBook G3 300MHZ!, 512MB RAM!, 40GB HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelong View Post
I can't partition equally now because my mac side doesn't have enough space. The capacity is still 148GB. B&O's Space is 298GB of a 320GB harddrive. why is there such a little difference and mine a 12GB difference!
dude, he "lost" 22gb how is that a little difference hahahah.
QUOTE Thanks
livelong

oh haha. okay. thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem starting my macbook pro | How to create an an install prog from a CD? »