Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Member Since
    Dec 03, 2008
    15" MacBook Pro Unibody - 2.53GHz/4GB/320GB HDD
    Question Wait until Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) is out??
    I am about to buy a new Macbook Pro 15" 2.53 Ghz, 4 GB ram, etc.

    Should i wait until Snow Leopard is out? I heard something about early next year? Its probably not realistic for me to wait, since my old computer is dead....but is it worth waiting for? Would there be a HUGE improvement from 10.5 to 10.6?

    Any advice for me? BTW, i would be switching from a lifelong PC/Windows user to my first ever Mac....

    Thanks in advance for your knowledge!

  2. #2

    sirbOOm's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 01, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    MBP: 2.5 GHz Penryn; GeForce 8600M GT 512MB; 2GB RAM; 250GB 5400 RPM; Glossy; OS X 10.5.5; WinXP SP3
    Well, let's face it, if you've been using a Windows PC for your entire computing life, what's another 6-months? Then you'll be buying what really is a cleaned-up, spruced-up, and more efficient operating system along with your Mac. Where as now, you'll be buying a Mac with Leopard, which isn't the cleaned-up, spruced-up, and more efficient OS X (relative to Snow Leopard). Then, come next year, you'll want to go buy Snow Leopard for a computer that doesn't really "need" an operating system update.

    So... I say wait. Plus, by then, maybe Apple will start getting stung by our wonderful economy and drop prices. (Yeah right!)

  3. #3

    PowerBookG4's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 08, 2005
    New Jersey
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    buy now snow leopard will only be $150 any way, and this way you get a mac and if you want 10.6 later down the road it will be a cheap upgrade.
    My Website
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

  4. #4

    Member Since
    Aug 19, 2008
    Ya, i wouldn't wait

  5. #5

    Member Since
    Jan 11, 2008
    13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook
    dont wait

  6. #6

    Member Since
    Dec 18, 2008
    Harrison, AR
    ...a bird in the hand...

  7. #7

    louishen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    Snow Leopard will not bring a raft of new features to the OS, so do not wait.

    Snow Leopard is primarily a chance for Apple to slim down their OS rather than add much new stuff, so its kinda like an anti bloatware release, as well as consolidating the 64 bit core of the os

    Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Snow Leopard
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

  8. #8

    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    If you can go 6 months without a computer, you probably don't need one anyway.

    If you need one, get it when you need it.

    And, no one knows for sure when the Snow will hit the fan.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  9. #9

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    If you can go 6 months without a computer, you probably don't need one anyway.

    If you need one, get it when you need it.

    And, no one knows for sure when the Snow will hit the fan.
    Exactly. There's always something newer, better, faster on the horizon. In technology, if you're always waiting for the next best thing, you'll be waiting forever.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

  10. #10

    Member Since
    Mar 15, 2007
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
    buy now snow leopard will only be $150 any way
    From where are you getting $150 as a cost estimate? I'd be surprised if Snow Leopard was that expensive; after all, Leopard was $129, and Snow Leopard won't be a feature-laden update of Leopard like Leopard was of Tiger.

  11. #11

    fleurya's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 18, 2006
    Anytown, USA
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
    I wouldn't wait. Like bobtomay said, if you can wait that long without a computer, save your money altogether and don't buy it.

    There's always going to be something new. Also, Snow Leopard is more like Win XP SP2 than a whole new OS. In fact, I imagine it won't even be that drastic of a change, especially to the average user. I'm assuming you are an average user since someone more dependent on a computer wouldn't even think of going 6 months without.
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

  12. #12

    XJ-linux's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2007
    Going Galt...
    Why wait. No one knows precisely what positives and negatives SL 10.6 will hold. Perhaps it will be buggy and you may be glad your restore DVD's are 10.5? Perhaps 10.6 will be a free update for Intel-based Mac's and thus you will save nothing by waiting? Point being we don't really know the details, so if you need it, get it. I'm pretty sure that you will be able to upgrade later regardless.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Leopard - Upgrade to Snow or wait for Lion?
    By Saturngoddess in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 04:43 PM
  2. Prepping for Snow Leopard, things to do while you wait...
    By cwa107 in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 08:31 AM
  3. Wait in line for Snow Leopard?
    By XJ-linux in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-27-2009, 01:28 PM
  4. wait for snow leopard or get Imac now
    By czarthp in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 08:07 AM
  5. Wait until Snow leopard to buy a MBP?
    By JoP! in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2009, 02:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts