New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Wait until Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) is out??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pman555

pman555 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro Unibody - 2.53GHz/4GB/320GB HDD

I am about to buy a new Macbook Pro 15" 2.53 Ghz, 4 GB ram, etc.

Should i wait until Snow Leopard is out? I heard something about early next year? Its probably not realistic for me to wait, since my old computer is dead....but is it worth waiting for? Would there be a HUGE improvement from 10.5 to 10.6?

Any advice for me? BTW, i would be switching from a lifelong PC/Windows user to my first ever Mac....

Thanks in advance for your knowledge!
QUOTE Thanks
sirbOOm

sirbOOm is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP: 2.5 GHz Penryn; GeForce 8600M GT 512MB; 2GB RAM; 250GB 5400 RPM; Glossy; OS X 10.5.5; WinXP SP3

Well, let's face it, if you've been using a Windows PC for your entire computing life, what's another 6-months? Then you'll be buying what really is a cleaned-up, spruced-up, and more efficient operating system along with your Mac. Where as now, you'll be buying a Mac with Leopard, which isn't the cleaned-up, spruced-up, and more efficient OS X (relative to Snow Leopard). Then, come next year, you'll want to go buy Snow Leopard for a computer that doesn't really "need" an operating system update.

So... I say wait. Plus, by then, maybe Apple will start getting stung by our wonderful economy and drop prices. (Yeah right!)
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

buy now snow leopard will only be $150 any way, and this way you get a mac and if you want 10.6 later down the road it will be a cheap upgrade.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
rettaps

rettaps is on a distinguished road

Ya, i wouldn't wait
QUOTE Thanks
davidsword

davidsword is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook

dont wait
QUOTE Thanks
mrqcrew

mrqcrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP

...a bird in the hand...
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Snow Leopard will not bring a raft of new features to the OS, so do not wait.

Snow Leopard is primarily a chance for Apple to slim down their OS rather than add much new stuff, so its kinda like an anti bloatware release, as well as consolidating the 64 bit core of the os

Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Snow Leopard

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you can go 6 months without a computer, you probably don't need one anyway.

If you need one, get it when you need it.

And, no one knows for sure when the Snow will hit the fan.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
If you can go 6 months without a computer, you probably don't need one anyway.

If you need one, get it when you need it.

And, no one knows for sure when the Snow will hit the fan.
Exactly. There's always something newer, better, faster on the horizon. In technology, if you're always waiting for the next best thing, you'll be waiting forever.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
mystic_fm

mystic_fm will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
buy now snow leopard will only be $150 any way
From where are you getting $150 as a cost estimate? I'd be surprised if Snow Leopard was that expensive; after all, Leopard was $129, and Snow Leopard won't be a feature-laden update of Leopard like Leopard was of Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I wouldn't wait. Like bobtomay said, if you can wait that long without a computer, save your money altogether and don't buy it.

There's always going to be something new. Also, Snow Leopard is more like Win XP SP2 than a whole new OS. In fact, I imagine it won't even be that drastic of a change, especially to the average user. I'm assuming you are an average user since someone more dependent on a computer wouldn't even think of going 6 months without.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Why wait. No one knows precisely what positives and negatives SL 10.6 will hold. Perhaps it will be buggy and you may be glad your restore DVD's are 10.5? Perhaps 10.6 will be a free update for Intel-based Mac's and thus you will save nothing by waiting? Point being we don't really know the details, so if you need it, get it. I'm pretty sure that you will be able to upgrade later regardless.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MAC Mini screen resolution changes after login? | Problem scripting with checkboxes and radio buttons »