New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Hacked?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

benjiathome

benjiathome is on a distinguished road

I am slightly concerned that someone is trying, or already has, gained access to my computer. I phoned up my ISP who told me basically that my modem is very secure and no one can get access to my computer, however, i would like to perform some kind of check as getting a reply which is basically "nah your sweet your computer is UNHACKABLE!!!" kinda silly.

I have been getting vague threats from someone whom I only know through the internet, and I have seen some strange behavior from my computer recently. I know im probably just being paranoid but what can I do? This person has now been blocked and deleted and I just wish to make sure.

I am not new with computers, however my knowledge on firewalls, hardware security, hacking etc etc is extremely limited. Can I check my firewall logs? Any other suggestions?

Thank you, any replies are much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

it would be the first instance I have heard of it 'in the wild'.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
benjiathome

Excuse me? Sorry. Do you mean youve never heard anything like this before and therefore doubt anything bad is happening?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

As far as I am aware OS X has never been successfully hacked in the field.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
benjiathome

thats a little comforting.. however.. what do you make of this story?

Mac OS X hacked under 30 minutes: News - Security - ZDNet Australia
QUOTE Thanks
Qua Sar

Qua Sar is on a distinguished road

you could always google OS X Firewall logs, if you want to see.
Exploring the Mac OS X Firewall | O'Reilly Media

this site (i googled what i put above and look at it for you quickly) says how to look at your MAC Firewall logs. I am unsure if you are talking about your modem firewall logs or your Mac Firewall logs, so i have given you that one.

I imagine that if you log into your router/modem you will be able to find out how to get the logs from there depending on the company who makes it.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiathome View Post

Always interesting, but also 2 years old.. so not 10.5 anyway. There are always vulnerabilities, but what the lack of public knowledge of them being hacked really means is that the script kiddies aren't going to be using any existing exploits. This will reduce your chances of breach dramatically.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiathome View Post

Be sure you read the comments after that so called Hack OSX article. You will find that they opened SSH and other things to let the hacker in. This was found out right after it was published.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Little Snitch 2.0.4 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
As far as I am aware OS X has never been successfully hacked in the field.
Well, that solves that problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reformat my macbook | File Sharing »