New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - 10.3/10.4 Tried to install Tiger now hard drive wiped

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dashman

Dashman is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to install Tiger on a Powerbook 64 (previously had 10.3).

I inserted the 10.4 disk, went through all the notions of selecting install location, and selected "Erase and install" option.

The disk verification was fine, then install started, got about half way, the said it failed. I tried this twice, and the same thing happened.

I then tried to reboot the powerbook, but now just get the flashing folder. When I boot up withj the disk in, holding down the Option key, I get the choice to select hardware test or DVD Install disk. I select the install disk, then see the Apple logo, then after about 30 secs I get the 'No entry' sign.

Why is this? And what are the possible reasons the initial 10.4 install could keep failing?

Would I be safe in saying the next step would be to format the drive (via target disk and another mac), and then try a completely fresh install of 10.3?

Cheers,
Dave
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Is this a retail disk of Tiger or is this a "borrowed" copy that came with another machine?

If borrowed, it will not work. The shipped disks are all system specific.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Dashman

Hi. No, it's a multi-license copy.

If I'm going to be honest, I have tried installing with a non-retail copy in the past (yes, I know, bad), but it only caused a kernal panic on startup, it didn't actually let me get to the install screen. This is what makes me think it is not the problem?

D
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Would suggest running the hardware test next, just to make sure.

And I've never personally had to deal with install issues (not on a Mac anyway), so if others have suggestions, feel free to add in.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

You say you held down the Option key. Instead, hold down the C key when you insert the Tiger install disk, and then try proceeding from there. If that doesn't work, you could try the Panther install disk again. If that too fails, I'd suggest there is a sector on the hard drive that is bad.
QUOTE Thanks
Dashman

Hi.. yes, sorry, before using the opition key, I tried booting from the disk ('c').
The Apple logo showed up, then the actual Apple logo went all corrupted, and the booting stopped. Really silly, I should have mentioned that in my first post.

If I was to boot in target disk mode, could I then format it (Journaled) in Disk Uti;ity on my second Mac then try and install again. Is it possible to do a new install on a completely formatted drive?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

How to use FireWire target disk mode
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hellp needed after format | Problem with mouseover actions »