New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Sleep mode??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aquariaguy

aquariaguy is on a distinguished road

How do I know if my MB is on sleep? Today I thought I put it on sleep, I pressed the power button and hit sleep, and than closed the lid, however 2hrs later when I went to get my laptop bag, my MB was HOT! It was running. I was so worried because the temp. hit 70 degrees Celsius and the fan was only 2000 rpm?!?!

Also when I close my lid, I "thought" it went on sleep, but sometimes it doesn't? Can anyone clarify this for me please.

I tried to put it on sleep, and THAN closing the lid, but it turns back on? I have no idea if its on sleep because the fan is so quiet. I also see the light on the front right of the MB, but I'm not 100% sure it turns on when its on sleep mode. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Putting your MacBook to sleep and then placing it in a carry bag is NOT a good procedure to follow. If the machine wakes up while you're carrying it in the bag could cause it to overheat and even damage the hard drive if it should spin up. Shut it down completely before placing it in the carry bag.

You can tell if the machine is sleeping by the light in the front. The light will "pulse" when the machine is sleeping. If it's on steady, the machine is not sleeping.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
CurtisJC

CurtisJC is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MB 2.1GHz, 4Gb RAM, 120Gb white

I always just close the lid to put it in sleep and carry it about, i suppose i should stop doing that if it can cause such problems.

good thing this post came about or i would have never known!

My mum is lvl 70 in WoW, how cool is she
A PC you say, eww don't touch it, it may have rabies
To be followed http://twitter.com/CurtisJC
QUOTE Thanks
THeBadMonkey

THeBadMonkey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Putting your MacBook to sleep and then placing it in a carry bag is NOT a good procedure to follow. If the machine wakes up while you're carrying it in the bag could cause it to overheat and even damage the hard drive if it should spin up. Shut it down completely before placing it in the carry bag.

You can tell if the machine is sleeping by the light in the front. The light will "pulse" when the machine is sleeping. If it's on steady, the machine is not sleeping.

Regards.
I thought the whole point of that was that machine was asleep so you get an instant on?

Apple designed with this in mind so when you close the lid it takes an image of the ram and then powers everything down. It also parks the drive heads if I remember rightly. Realistically how difficult is it to get a mac to wake while carrying it. Mine has gone everywhere with me for the last three months and have had nothing like that happen.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
There is no reason why a sleeping MacBook should wake up if its closed and packed safely in a properly fitted, padded bag or case.

If you just throw it in a backpack or messenger bag, then yes, it could be jolted open and wake up, but it could also suffer all sorts of physical damage even if it were off. So don't do that! Get a real laptop bag.

Quote:
Yup, that's how you tell.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Java update for 10.3 osx? | Get rid of Type Agent »