New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How do you Uninstall software?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NextProdigy

Im new to the whole mac scene... I was figuring how you could uninstall software? can anyone help?
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

very simple: drag the application you want to uninstall to your trash, empty the trash and that's it!
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

yes very simple, mac is the easies operating system

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

You might also want to run a search for the program name after you've deleted the icon from your applications folder, just to make sure it's completely gone.

QUOTE Thanks
gunnerjoe

gunnerjoe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S

Hi All,

When uninstalling by dragging the program out of apps folder to the trash does this delete everthing? Do some programs put things in different places; like the Library folder etc.

Thx
Joe
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerjoe
Hi All,

When uninstalling by dragging the program out of apps folder to the trash does this delete everthing? Do some programs put things in different places; like the Library folder etc.

Thx
Joe
Refer to Edge's post just above yours.
QUOTE Thanks
ryanyogan

Some programs add preferences in the library a simple search will help you on that, and there are some times when you best use the actual uninstall program (Micrsoft office 2004, etc...) as they leave behind alot of excess luggage you don't care to keep. The "icon" that you are dragging to the trash is much, much, more than that. It is a package, beleive it or not that icon has many different files, images, and a whole folder structure in it. Apple had a great idea with this, one of the best accomplishments if you ask me, along with disk images, very easy way to manage data!!

Make sure you are not just dragging the alias from the dock to the trash, you must go to your applications folder, or whatever folder you installed to and drag the real deal!
QUOTE Thanks
gunnerjoe

gunnerjoe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S

Thanks All,

Gunnerjoe
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Icons, changing to default | Weird stuff during startup!!?? »