New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lost Mac 9.0 Software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

etorres769

My uncle uses Macs and he misplaced his 9.0 software for Macs and just recently got a G5 iMac. He needs the software because a lot of his programs run on the older mac version. Is there anyway I can get the software somewhere for free? I'm sorry I don't know macs, I am getting his old G4 though, so you'll se me here more often. Please help me, and thanks!

Eddie
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You can install Classic support (OS 9) off of the second OS X install disc that came with his G5 iMac

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
etorres769

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
You can install Classic support (OS 9) off of the second OS X install disc that came with his G5 iMac
Could you please give me instructions on how to do so because I'm Mac illeterate. So a comes with a CD and I search for Classic?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

the g5 imac shouldve come with a disc called software restore, or something similiar, openit and there should be an installer that say install classic support.
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

To continue on with this question....
I bought an ibook from someone who had 9 installed but I wiped it out to do a clean install because I didn't want all of her junk that she had. So from the clean install it didn't REinstall 9.
Is there a way I can reinstall 9? I tried with an original 9 CD and it didn't work but from the posts above it looks like I need the osx cd, correct? (which I have).
QUOTE Thanks
etorres769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
the g5 imac shouldve come with a disc called software restore, or something similiar, openit and there should be an installer that say install classic support.
Thanks MacMan, i'm going over on Friday and see if we can install some stuff. I really appreciate it and i'll be on here more often because I don't know anything about Macs (i've used Windows all my life). Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
phatsew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACyMouse
To continue on with this question....
I bought an ibook from someone who had 9 installed but I wiped it out to do a clean install because I didn't want all of her junk that she had. So from the clean install it didn't REinstall 9.
Is there a way I can reinstall 9? I tried with an original 9 CD and it didn't work but from the posts above it looks like I need the osx cd, correct? (which I have).
If you have a full version of OS9, and you don't want OSX installed, you don't have to install it. You can install just OS9. Put the CD in the drive, hold the C key as you boot, and you'll get the original OS9 install desktop. There you can partition and install OS9.
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

Maybe I didn't explain that right.
I have OSX 10.3.7 but I want to add 9 to it. The ibook originally HAD 9 and 10 installed but I did a clean install of just 10.
Does the CD's that came with this iBook have 9 to put back on it? Or do I need an original os9 CD?
I had tried to install 9 after 10 with a 9 CD but it didn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
Wapa18

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatsew
If you have a full version of OS9, and you don't want OSX installed, you don't have to install it. You can install just OS9. Put the CD in the drive, hold the C key as you boot, and you'll get the original OS9 install desktop. There you can partition and install OS9.
not true. if he's trying to install it on an imac G5, it won't work. the G5 chip does not support booting into OS9, because OS9 does not have support for the G5 written in it, just the classic environment.
QUOTE Thanks
phatsew

I thought it was a G3 iBook? He said it had OS9 on it originally.
QUOTE Thanks
funky

MACymouse, the following would do what you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

I have an iBook G3 and yes, I found the software restore with os9 on it. That worked just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
knightrdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by etorres769
My uncle uses Macs and he misplaced his 9.0 software for Macs and just recently got a G5 iMac. He needs the software because a lot of his programs run on the older mac version. Is there anyway I can get the software somewhere for free? I'm sorry I don't know macs, I am getting his old G4 though, so you'll se me here more often. Please help me, and thanks!

Eddie
I have an OS 9 CD if you still need it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« trouble deleting files.. | MAC OSX 10.3 and ORiNOCO Classic Gold »