New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Folder has disappeared - can I get it back?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lhollo

Lhollo is on a distinguished road

A folder containing images has vanished from my Mac Pro Octocore. This has happened to me once before.

It was stored on an additional 500GB hard drive that I had installed in the machine - I use the main 500GB drive for applications, and keep all files on the other internal drive. I have had problems like this with all of my drives in the past though (I also have externals).

I have run searches for the folders, and looked in every place I can think of but they don't seem to exist anymore. How is this possible?!

I am currently running PhotoRescue, but don't hold out much hope - it's never found files that have disappeared in the past.

I'm running the latest Version of OSX 10.5.2

I'm a photographer and had spent most of last night working on these, ready for an order which needed to be sent today.

I've had a lot of problems with the machine since buying it last April. Various applications (everything from Photoshop to Textedit to Finder) will refuse to force quit fully - it'll say that they've quit but they stay illuminated in the dock. Once this has happened, the only way I can shut the machine down is by holding the power button.

I always close all open windows (if possible) before powering down.

I wonder whether this is the cause of my missing folder... I've also had groups of files from within a folder become corrupt.

I'm still quite a Mac novice. Is there a directory I can look in to see where they might be, if they still exist?

Unfortunately, I don't have Applecare, and the 3 month warranty has expired.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Hey Lhollo,

Well hmm.. a couple things first.. the latest version is 10.5.5, so you might want to upgrade and the warranty is a year, not 3 months, when you buy applecare it extends it to 3 years.

Did you have time machine backing up your data?

Also the problems you are having sounds like you might have bad RAM, or a hard drive that is malfunctioning.. although I don't think it's that. My guess is that it's either the RAM or you need to do a reinstall of the OS.

As for getting your file back.. hopefully you had time machine backing up your files.. otherwise.. Im not sure, maybe someone else might have an idea.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Double vision! | Problem with accessing a Windows network shared folder on MAC »