MrBoots
    Cannot delete desktop files
    Having trouble sending a couple of partially downloaded .zip files from the desktop. Get this msg when I try:

[The item "x" is being used by another task right now. (Other tasks include moving, copying, or emptying the trash.)

Try again when the other task is complete.]

What to do?

Thanking you very much...

Specs:
    17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
    I don't have an answer to your question, but please don't cross post. I have deleted your other post, as this is the right place for this particualr question.

Thanks
    Emrys
    Community Administrator / Moderator
    MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!

regorve
    re. Cannot delete desktop files
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBoots
    Having trouble sending a couple of partially downloaded .zip files from the desktop. Get this msg when I try:

[The item "x" is being used by another task right now. (Other tasks include moving, copying, or emptying the trash.)

Try again when the other task is complete.]

What to do?

Thanking you very much...

I recently purchased a G4 1.25DP and had the same problem with a file on the desktop that I could not delete and when I tried got the same message. The only way I resolved the problem was by going ahead with my intended partitioning of my drive into OS10 and OS9 volumes. That of course solved the immediate problem. But, should it reoccur, I haven't got a clue about how to solve it. When you find out, let me know. I'll do the same.
    regorve

iguitari
    I had the same problem
    Hey there! I had the same problem, not being able to delete the files on my desktop. I searched and found this post on google, then read the statement about os x and os 9. I restarted the computer in OS 9, then opened users/home/desktop, and dragged the files to the trash and they deleted there. then just restarted the computer back in os x. that's probably what the statement above meant to do anyway, but it worked great. that's the only way i could figure out to delete them. not very efficent, but it works.

jonnyturner
    i read somewhere about typing a command into the terminal and draggin the files in there, it worked anyway but i cant remember how i did it, sorry, but im sure if u search google ull find it

Specs:
    G52x1.81.53208x+/-
    yes, there is a Unix command.

Open Terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities), then type: (hit return after each line)
    cd Desktop
    rm -rf filename.ext

replace filename.ext with the file and extension. you can make it easier by typing the first few letters of the file name, then hitting Tab. enter password if it asks for it

Quote Originally Posted by MacAddikt View Post
    yes, there is a Unix command.

Open Terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities), then type: (hit return after each line)
    cd Desktop
    rm -rf filename.ext

replace filename.ext with the file and extension. you can make it easier by typing the first few letters of the file name, then hitting Tab. enter password if it asks for it
    I had many files to delete from the desktop and I used this "rm" command and it worked great.

Just wanted to add that I was able to delete thousands of files with the same extension all at once by using the asterix. E.g.:

rm *.wav

That would get rid of all files with the extension .wav regardless of their filename

its easy just do this!
    all ya do is drag and hold ya file u want off desktop to the finder shortcut and wait it should open up finder and ya drop it in there... where ya want to put it is not choice... i guess ya just drag it to where ya want it...

garage band
    i had a problem, i had created a garage band file on my desktop and had later deleted the actual song. it left a "My Song.band" file on my desktop and it says that this cant be deleted
    help?

cannot delete files
    i have same problem.Long path tool worked perfect for me.Visit the following site for details Please

Path Too Long | Filename too long | Filename is too long | Path too long utility

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by adamgart View Post
    i have same problem.Long path tool worked perfect for me.Visit the following site for details Please

Path Too Long | Filename too long | Filename is too long | Path too long utility
    Your first post, in a thread started in 2003...
    I'm all over that link!
    NOT

Thread Information