New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Cannot delete desktop files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrBoots

Having trouble sending a couple of partially downloaded .zip files from the desktop. Get this msg when I try:

[The item "x" is being used by another task right now. (Other tasks include moving, copying, or emptying the trash.)

Try again when the other task is complete.]

What to do?

Thanking you very much...

QUOTE Thanks
Emrys

Emrys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM

I don't have an answer to your question, but please don't cross post. I have deleted your other post, as this is the right place for this particualr question.

Thanks

Emrys
Community Administrator / Moderator
MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
regorve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoots
Having trouble sending a couple of partially downloaded .zip files from the desktop. Get this msg when I try:

[The item "x" is being used by another task right now. (Other tasks include moving, copying, or emptying the trash.)

Try again when the other task is complete.]

What to do?

Thanking you very much...

I recently purchased a G4 1.25DP and had the same problem with a file on the desktop that I could not delete and when I tried got the same message. The only way I resolved the problem was by going ahead with my intended partitioning of my drive into OS10 and OS9 volumes. That of course solved the immediate problem. But, should it reoccur, I haven't got a clue about how to solve it. When you find out, let me know. I'll do the same.
regorve
QUOTE Thanks
iguitari

Hey there! I had the same problem, not being able to delete the files on my desktop. I searched and found this post on google, then read the statement about os x and os 9. I restarted the computer in OS 9, then opened users/home/desktop, and dragged the files to the trash and they deleted there. then just restarted the computer back in os x. that's probably what the statement above meant to do anyway, but it worked great. that's the only way i could figure out to delete them. not very efficent, but it works.
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyturner

i read somewhere about typing a command into the terminal and draggin the files in there, it worked anyway but i cant remember how i did it, sorry, but im sure if u search google ull find it
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

yes, there is a Unix command.

Open Terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities), then type: (hit return after each line)
cd Desktop
rm -rf filename.ext

replace filename.ext with the file and extension. you can make it easier by typing the first few letters of the file name, then hitting Tab. enter password if it asks for it

QUOTE Thanks
August

August is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddikt View Post
yes, there is a Unix command.

Open Terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities), then type: (hit return after each line)
cd Desktop
rm -rf filename.ext

replace filename.ext with the file and extension. you can make it easier by typing the first few letters of the file name, then hitting Tab. enter password if it asks for it
I had many files to delete from the desktop and I used this "rm" command and it worked great.

Just wanted to add that I was able to delete thousands of files with the same extension all at once by using the asterix. E.g.:

rm *.wav

That would get rid of all files with the extension .wav regardless of their filename
QUOTE Thanks
koopatroopa544

koopatroopa544 is on a distinguished road

all ya do is drag and hold ya file u want off desktop to the finder shortcut and wait it should open up finder and ya drop it in there... where ya want to put it is not choice... i guess ya just drag it to where ya want it...
QUOTE Thanks
lsmanutd4

lsmanutd4 is on a distinguished road

i had a problem, i had created a garage band file on my desktop and had later deleted the actual song. it left a "My Song.band" file on my desktop and it says that this cant be deleted
help?
QUOTE Thanks
adamgart

adamgart is on a distinguished road

i have same problem.Long path tool worked perfect for me.Visit the following site for details Please

Path Too Long | Filename too long | Filename is too long | Path too long utility
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgart View Post
i have same problem.Long path tool worked perfect for me.Visit the following site for details Please

Path Too Long | Filename too long | Filename is too long | Path too long utility
Your first post, in a thread started in 2003...
I'm all over that link!
NOT
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cmd + Control Combo performs same a control only | is reinstalling java necessary? »