New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Finder not remembering view settings

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

god720

god720 is on a distinguished road

I recently changed to column view, and I want to have every single folder's columns aligned to make a perfect fit so that the columns are as wide as they can be without creating a sideways scroll bar. I tried going to the view options and clicking the use as defaults button, but still, not all my folders are perfectly aligned. What do I need to do to make this happen?
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

When you open a Finder window it seems to default to a certain size. Not sure if that can be changed, however, as soon as the scroll bar shows up, you can click the green button to eliminate it. Once the window is opened across the entire screen, it should stay that way until you close it.

Not a perfect solution, but at least you can expand the window with just a click.

EDIT: Think I got it now--Open the Finder. Drag the window to the top left. Hold down 'option' while dragging the lower right corner to expand the window to full screen. Release 'option' and close the window. When you reopen it, it should default to full screen.
QUOTE Thanks
god720

That is only for one window. I wanted to change the settings for all windows.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough

How are you opening the different Finder windows?

When you first open Finder it opens a default folder--probably your user folder. If this home folder is set to open fullscreen, it should stay fullscreen when you navigate to other folders.

Or maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to do...
QUOTE Thanks
god720

No one can help me?

*EDIT* Sorry, I forgot to refresh.

*EDIT AFTER READING POST* Alright, so I think I understand what is happening. I want to set a default for opening the finder in 4 different places: clicking Finder on the applications bar, clicking the downloads icon next to the trash and clicking open in finder, clicking the trash icon, and double clicking the hard drive on the desktop. Do I have to set the defaults for each one separately?
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

It looks like you will. But this should only take a minute. You'll probably find a couple other places you'll need to set it, but once they are all set, you should be in good shape.
QUOTE Thanks
god720

Alright, I think I did it. Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Burning a Win Boot Disk using Disk Utility | Renaming Home Icon is "already taken".... »