New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Grey Folder Flashing ? - no Hardrive showing using Leopard Disc Utility and repair

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deniro72

deniro72 is on a distinguished road

Hi ..I need some advice... I have an Apple Intel G5 quad processor and the latest version of leopard installed.
My wife tried using Safari and the machine was making a noisy Fan noise and then froze. She powered off and powered back on but to no avail... Grey Folder with Flashing ? appears on start up.. So I tried to do a restart using the installation DVD and then Disc Utility and repair, but the Hard drive is not showing. So I tried a restart and doing a PRAM. then tried a restart again using the DVD but still no Hard drive to do a disc repair.
Do any one have any suggestions?

Much Appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Se if you can get Apple Hardware Test to boot as it sounds like your drive has popped off.
QUOTE Thanks
deniro72

deniro72 is on a distinguished road

Hi Harry
can you explain .. Do you mean an Authorised Apple dealership to run a diagnostic and do you mean the Hardrive is a Right off?.. Is there any chance I can retrieve my entourage Database?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

No you should have with the original disks a copy of Apple Hardware Test - perhpas under options or extras?

Here is a link to error messages using AHT:-

Mac Pro: Apple Hardware Test error messages
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac issue after repair | Can my G5 handle it? »