New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Do scanners 'just work' on Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

Hi

I need to buy a scanner. If I plug it in to my MBP (On Leopard) will it need drivers or any special software? I don't need anything fancy like OCR, just to scan to .gif, .jpg or .png. All the software that come with the scanners seems to be for Windows only.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pjhutch

pjhutch has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It depends, Macs do need some scanning software for it to scan with. SO I would choose a scanner that has Mac software like the Canon LiDE Scanner series which I use (Mac + Windows compatible).
QUOTE Thanks
Nevermore

Nevermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

does not work with my Mac and they are not going to develop any drivers for it. So, you should check and make sure when you purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Always make sure when you buy something for a Mac or PC that it supports the OS you are using. This applies to software as well. Always check the box and make sure that your computer has the requirements to run the software/hardware.

Other wise you are just going to give yourself major headaches and waste time and money.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhutch View Post
It depends, Macs do need some scanning software for it to scan with. SO I would choose a scanner that has Mac software like the Canon LiDE Scanner series which I use (Mac + Windows compatible).
I also use the Canon LiDE scanner and it works well. It was $45 US on clearance on Amazon a few months ago. Not sure if it's still there. Don't know if that helps you in the UK either.

I bought it because my ancient HP 3300 scanner from the mid-90s didn't work with Leopard. Not a big loss since it was 10 years old and the new one was less than $50. Incidentally, this is the ONLY piece of hardware I had to replace with I switched over from Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

My HP Photosmart MFD (C3100) included a Windows and OS X CD - the OS X CD installed a load of stuff I probably won't use but did include something under the name HP Scan which as you might expect - works very well with my scanner. It does all that I want it to do anyway.

As the other posters said; try to look for items that list OS X as a supported OS.

Sometimes you may find that a shop that is selling to the masses and perhaps limits their product information to a 2" label next to the price may assume that people are only interested in versions of Windows and in these types of stores; the sales people are often just as useless - if you have to buy from this type of store then check the web for reviews or for a more detailed product spec.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone5s

My CancoScan D660U did not work with OSX but works a treat since I got VueScan software from VueScan Scanning Software, but if you're buying new best get one that is compatible to start with.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Ditto what everyone else said. My HP 5300C worked fine as a printer with just the Mac drivers pnp-wise. The scanner did not. I needed to load the OS X HP Software Suite that came with it. Interestingly, when I installed the HP Drivers update from Apple, it blew away the HP drivers and the scanner didn't work again. I had to remove the Apple HP update and reinstall the HP OEM software. Lesson learned - HP wrote drivers for a good reason so go with the HW manufacturer's drivers. I wouldn't use HP software for my Mac's firmware. Not slamming HP or Apple, just suggesting that Apple can't really cover all the drivers for all the printers/scanners/fax machines out there.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

Thanks for the information everyone, it's really useful.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Changing computer name | Can I use a linux disk utility to repair errors on my HDD? »