New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - how would i do this

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iheartmac

iheartmac is on a distinguished road

I have my harddisk partitioned off in three sections one section for 15gig mac osx another for programs/saved files/movies/pics/ and the like.. around 75gig.. and the final one is a 7gig restore rip of osx leopard...

im running 2.3ghz dcore2 upgraded 10krpm hddisk 1 gig ram upgraded from 512mb
bought last year not sure what model it is exactly.

the problem is my partition for the os is full 15 gig with 300mb open on partition and i want to use autoupdate tool to install new updates and what not but i cant download to the osx partition and install because i dont have enough room i want it downloaded to my larger partition and run... how do i do that or do i have to download everything individually.... and install updates?
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

You really should have more space on your system partition. The reason for this is that OS X uses some of it for swap, and if you have very little space left over it will cause your system to slow down noticeably.

That being said, which updates are you trying to install? You may be able to download to your other partition from Apple's site, then run the installer and tell it to install on your system partition.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

This is what you need:

Coriolis Systems :: Products :: iPartition

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Ideally, you should just merge the OS X and programs partitions as there's really no need to keep them separate, and as ADKhikerVW mentioned, being low of disk space is actually a detriment to performance.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Backing up without installing | Need help how to format an external HD in ext3 »