New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - how do i maximize a window?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack is on a distinguished road

hi all,

probably the simplest question ever, but how do you make the currently selected window fill the monitor?

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Simple answer: You don't.

The "maximize" function in Windows is "dumb" and only fills the screen.
The "maximize" feature in OS X is "smart" and makes the window the largest size required to display its content. Press the green button in the top left corner of a window to invoke it.

So Safari for instance will resize the window to fit the current webpage. Any larger (or full-screen) and it would obscure any other windows (e.g. the downloads window, iChat etc.).

It's something a lot of switchers don't like at first, but once you get used to the way OS X is designed to be used, you learn to appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
meddyliol

meddyliol is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook white, 2.4GHz, 2GB ram, 160GB hard drive

Thanks for that, I was wondering the same.
QUOTE Thanks
Halloween Jack

yes i see. i didn't realise what that button did. it seemed to have a life of its own.

now i see the logic, it's kind of cool. and i'm a windows fan.

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Halloween Jack

hmm...

actually i don't find it that good for file browsing, since it only gives you the bare minimum. you have to keep pushing the button every time your window needs to be larger.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween Jack View Post
hmm...

actually i don't find it that good for file browsing, since it only gives you the bare minimum. you have to keep pushing the button every time your window needs to be larger.
Windows remember their sizes, so you shouldn't be punching that button too often. Once you get a folder (your home folder, for example) set to its proper size, it should stay that way. There are also default window settings you can set as you like it.
QUOTE Thanks
RD423

RD423 will become famous soon enough

I just grab the corner and drag it to "fill the screen" cause that's how I like to surf the net is in the full size. Maybe it's just because that is what I was used to and i like it, some things change and some things stay the same and that's one of those things that has stayed the same.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD423 View Post
I just grab the corner and drag it to "fill the screen" cause that's how I like to surf the net is in the full size. Maybe it's just because that is what I was used to and i like it, some things change and some things stay the same and that's one of those things that has stayed the same.
You could also use this Bookmarklet for Safari:
HubLog: Safari FullScreen bookmarklet

Just drag it to your bookmarks bar and click it to "maximize" windows-style.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« X11 Issues with MATLAB | Previous Systems Folder »