New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Should I Upgrade My Tiger to Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RD423

RD423 will become famous soon enough

Just wondering what are the advantages of using leopard over tiger, currently I have a macbook core duo 1.83 gigs 512mb ram (about to be upgraded to 2gb in like 2 weeks) I was looking at buying leopard and installing it but a guy at the computer store told me I would be better off staying with tiger. why is this? Or should I upgrade and why? All help is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
halo200

halo200 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB

Im not sure about why the guy said that but leopard has givin most things on my macbook a huge performance boost, not to mention the extra things you get with Leopard. Quicklook is something I cant live without, I had to use tiger for a few weeks on mine and after using leopard it was torture, leopard is so much more streamlined than tiger ever was if you upgrade to leopard you will not be disappointed. You get a whole lot better programs like mail and its stationary and time machine works wonders. And with 2GB of Ram leopard is gonna fly on your intel. Every OS Upgrade so far has given speed boosts to every mac. I could probably be a little more convincing but you really have to try leopard yourself to see the differences.
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

I tried leopard for a week on my imac, and it didn't go well. I went back to tiger, and things are fast and work great again. (leopard was slow).

save your money. Unless there is some feature leopard offers that you "must" have... can't live without.
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

Leopard should run amazing on your machine. I've been sucking on a bottle of wine, so details are a bit hazy for me right now. The only pro for installing leopard I can think of is leopard was written for intel macs and tiger was written for power pc macs.

So, leopard takes a greater advantage of the intel processor and runs more native than tiger. Leopard has always been wicked fast on my 2.0ghz core duo and doesn't have as many bugs as tiger did running under intel.

Both OS'es are fantastic and you really can't go wrong with either. I'd say upgrade, I don't think you'll regret it.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Leopard is fast and rock steady.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

I finally upgraded to Leopard myself recently, and I have not been dissappointed. It runs very well and I love the new features. The desktop alone is well worth it.

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
RD423

Thx for all of the replies guys, and ladies (I always say guys but you never know who is a lady) I think I am going to upgrade my macbook, One guy said that leopard takes advantage of the intel processors, I also have a powerbook g4 which is (ppc) would it be ok for me to upgrade that one as well and if I do this will I have to buy 2 copies of the leopard disks?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

1. Only if the PowerBook CPU is over and above 867MHz.

2. Do not ask us as you should legally buy either a family pack or two copies.
QUOTE Thanks
RD423

As I am new to the whole mac thing the powerbook was given to me a few months back in which I went out and bought the macbook from a friend because I liked it so much. I do not know if with it you could install on more than one computer. I was asking because I did not know apple's policy on this and exactly how it works.

What is the family pack?

a little more explanation on that would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
hempcamp

hempcamp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320/Leopard, 12" PowerBook G4 1.5/1.25/80/Tiger

You need to purchase a separate copy of Leopard for each Mac you have, even though you don't need to authenticate each copy with the Secret Police like you need to do with Windows.

The Family Pack is an excellent deal if you have more than 1 Mac as the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th license all together come to about half the price of the first license. In other words it's about $100 for a single-user or $150 for the family pack.

Here's a good frequently-updated list of deals on Leopard single- and family-user packs:

Best Mac OS X 'Leopard' Prices

--Chris

Current: 20" iMac 2.4/4/320/Leopard / Dell 2407WFP / Leopard
Portable: 12" PowerBook G4 1.5/1.25/80/Tiger / iPhone 3G White 16GB
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iMac G4 800 / iBook G3 700 / PowerMac 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5G iPod 30GB
QUOTE Thanks
RD423

thx for explaining a little more details instead of assuming.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can someone help please...? | Unwanted and unexpected logout/reboot »