New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Partition a Drive, then run two OS's?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Christopher

Christopher is an unknown at this point

Question: I'm buying a new Macbook (older, white style) with a 160GB HD. I'm wondering, would it be possible to partition that drive, run one with the newest OS the machine ships with, and run the other with an older one, 10.4.7, with the ability to choose either as the startup drive? I have some older apps that work best with 10.4.7.

Thanks so much for any replies.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by how its animals are treated.

-Mahatma Ghandi
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

In theory it is possible, I am not sure if Tiger will work on the the macbook however.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Would be safer I think to use an external HDD connected by Firewire, format and install Tiger on that. System Preferences>Startup Dsk will give you the option of booting from the internal drive with Leopard or external with Tiger./
QUOTE Thanks
Christopher

Christopher is an unknown at this point

Thanks to both of you guys for responding. If i could install 10.4.7 on a partitioned drive using the original 160 GB HD, what would be the danger? Is there some risk associated with this? Thanks again.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by how its animals are treated.

-Mahatma Ghandi
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

There is always risk when partitioning a drive. If something did go wrong, you could potentially lose all your data. Therefore it is essential to have a complete backup before proceeding with the partitioning.

That being said, yes you could partition your drive in Leopard so it has a second partition, then install Tiger on it. After doing this, you could hold down Option at startup and select which OS to boot to. However it is not possible to run Tiger on all MacBooks. I am not sure which ones aren't compatible, but I know the newer models after Leopard was released may not run Tiger.

Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Repairing disk permissions | Mac Address in Computer Name »