New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Unable To Format Ext Hdd

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vin.napster666

vin.napster666 is on a distinguished road

hello everyone ..... i bought this western digital external hdd (300 GB) a year ago and it worked fine on PC. ever since i connected it to the MAC it strtd showing USMT.TMP file corrupted and i was able to copy files only from the hdd and not to the hdd. i tried deleting the file but it said IO device error. i then tried formatting the disk using disk utility, but i am not able to as it says resource busy ..... the hdd now does not even show up on the desktop. helpppppppp as i have all my data on the hdd ......

it used to work fine on the PC but now even the pc does not read it ..... is there any way i can get it working ..... i dont find formatting the disk
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

First off with the external drive connected, boot from the Leopard install DVD, go to Utilities>Disk Utility and see if the external drive shows up. If so format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and it will be right to use with your Mac.

If this does not work, try connecting to the PC and use the XP disc recovery and format in NTFS and then later connect to the Mac and reformat.

Here is a link describing this more fully:-

Mac OS X disk utility - resource busy error | Christoph Peter
QUOTE Thanks
terriz

terriz is on a distinguished road

If I have an external drive connected to a PC, that is formatted to NTFS, and I connect it to my macbook in order to format it, will I be able to re-connect it with the PC? I know the PC won't be able to write to it, but I'm hoping I'll still be able to mount the drive to my Macbook and use it for Time Machine.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

No, Time Machine needs to back up to an HFS+ formatted disk. For the disk to be readable and writeable in both Windows and OS X, you will want a disk formatted with FAT32 (this doesn't require any extra software).

If you want, you could try the partitioning scheme suggested here should you want to have TM backup to the same drive you want to use for both Windows and OS X.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Separate Home Partition | my mac won't re-start »