New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - My permissions are very seriously messed up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GraeYohe

GraeYohe is on a distinguished road

Hi, first post here.

I'm running 10.5.1 and just upgraded from whatever the most recent 10.4 iteration was. My machine was running very slowly, so I did a disk repair and permissions repair using Disk Utility, as well as a disk optimization using Alsoft's DiskWarrior.

BUT, and here's where I think I messed up: I have an external hard drive that I did not upgrade to 10.5. It still has 10.4 on it. Whenever I optimize or repair the disk, I boot from that external drive and run the utilities from there so that it can unmount my main HD to repair it.

When I repaired the permissions, I'm guessing using 10.4 to repair permissions on a 10.5 volume caused this. But I'm not sure.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM: After the permissions repair, ALL of the permissions on my files are wrong. I open a document in Word or PhotoShop or Dreamweaver and it tells me that the file is locked, so that I can look at it but not save any changes. I can create new documents, but the minute I try to save THOSE, it tells me I can't because I don't have sufficient permissions.

When I open the "Get Info" panel for a file, it shows:
System: Read & write
admin: read only
everyone: read only

My user isn't even listed. But I'm obviously an admin, so I'm read only.

I can manually change these permissions on a file to "read & write," and then it's okay.

BUT, am I really going to have to change EVERY SINGLE ONE of my files one at a time? And new files that **I** create don't allow read and write permissions BY ME. So every time I create a new file, am I going to have to close it, go into the finder, and change the permissions?

THANK YOU for any help you can give. This has me pulling my hair out!
QUOTE Thanks
GraeYohe

Oh, and by the way, I did do a permissions repair using the 10.5 volume just now and it did not fix the problem for existing files or newly created ones.
QUOTE Thanks
GraeYohe

Oh, one last thing. On some already-in-existence files, the permissions are:

system: read & write
wheel: read only
everyone: read only

No admin permissions are listed at all. For these, I have to add admin permissions as read & write to get anywhere.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Boot from your Leopard install DVD ~ assume you have one as you are using it? Repair Disk and Repair Permissions, in particular, is a different cat altogether under Leopard from Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
GraeYohe

Thanks for the reply. I'm a remote employee, so HQ sent me that install disk for the OS, I installed it, and I sent it back at their request. So I'm kind of stuck on that front unless I get them to mail it back. It made me nervous to be without one when I sent it back and I guess I know now why.
QUOTE Thanks
Smackintosh

Smackintosh is on a distinguished road

you can try to boot into single user mode (hold down cmd+s at start up). this will start up the machine without a gui. It will be a black screen with white writing on it. At the # prompt type fsck -fy and then hit enter. This will fix permissions just like running repair permissions from the install disk. It will take a while to run, and it will fix errors (there will be messages on the screen). When you get back to the # prompt type the word exit and the machine will reboot.

good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
GraeYohe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackintosh View Post
you can try to boot into single user mode (hold down cmd+s at start up). this will start up the machine without a gui. It will be a black screen with white writing on it. At the # prompt type fsck -fy and then hit enter. This will fix permissions just like running repair permissions from the install disk. It will take a while to run, and it will fix errors (there will be messages on the screen). When you get back to the # prompt type the word exit and the machine will reboot.

good luck.
Thanks for the idea. I did this and it gave me a lot of this:

Quote:
Incorrect flags for file inode (id = 77040303)
(It should be 0 x 22 instead of 0 x 2)
and took a long time, but it did not solve the problem.

I'm biting the bullet and calling Apple support!

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Get your IT manager to burn a DL copy of Leopard. Using Tiger Disk Utility has no doubt made a meal of the files and you may well be up for an erase and install.
QUOTE Thanks
GraeYohe

Thanks. I called Apple yesterday and that was exactly their assessment as well. What's more, the problem is across all users (tried creating a test user and it had the same problem). So I had HQ FedEx me the OS disk and I should get it this morning.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Good. Boot from the install DVD, choose erase and install and then update and all will be well. Keep us posted?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strange text problem in boxes and menus | Safari has unexpectedly quit / JavaScript »