New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OX Start Up Disk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Underbelly

Underbelly is on a distinguished road

Is is possible to create a start-up CD disk? This goes back to my post yesterday about not being able to get my Mac to boot. (question mark!!!)

But I can get it to boot with the OS X install disk. In the old days, I use to to a OS disk on hand just for that situation.

I tried to put OS 9 on a CD but the computer woudn't recognise it.

Can I just copy a System Folder for System X and boot with it?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underbelly
Is is possible to create a start-up CD disk? This goes back to my post yesterday about not being able to get my Mac to boot. (question mark!!!)

But I can get it to boot with the OS X install disk. In the old days, I use to to a OS disk on hand just for that situation.

I tried to put OS 9 on a CD but the computer woudn't recognise it.

Can I just copy a System Folder for System X and boot with it?

Thanks
I'm not entirely sure how to go about creating a "boot disk", but if you can't get your machine to boot from the HDD, you will probably end up having to reinstall the OS anyway. You could try an Archive and Install, so that your files and settings will be retained.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You can try BootCD. I have tried this under 10.2.x. I was able to create a bootable CD. The only problem I have was it, took a long time to boot.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Underbelly

Thanks. I'll try BootCD. The problem is that My HD is almost full so I can't use Archive and Install (no room). So I would like to get it to boot with something so I could delete unnessary files and the Archive and Install.

I was told of a way to network it to another Mac but wont have that option until the weekend, and I don't want to wait that long.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you have another system with a firewire port, you could use target mode. Then you could do you house keeping. You can also try single user mode, but you would need to know the file structures and what files to delete.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Underbelly

Thanks, but like i said, that will have to wait for the weekend and I've got a few projects that won't wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Underbelly

Just wanted to follow up. My Mac is back up and running. BOOTCD worked perfect! Thanks to everyone who helped me out. Apparently if you go back and forth between OS9 and OSX, you'll have this problem if your HD is almost full.

And if you ask why I still use OS9, it's because I still have a many programs I like that only run in OS9 and I can't afford to upgrade them right now.

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Can't you run those OS 9 application in classic mode or do you have to run them in full OS 9 mode?

QUOTE Thanks
Underbelly

I do run most in Classic Mode but once in a while I flip over to OS9 for one reason or another.

While on the subject, I've read that the porblem I have, switching between OS9 and OSX with a lack of HD space causes this problem. Does anyone know why that is?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Completely removing applications | What are .pif files? »