New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Need help with copying a data cd to mac os x tiger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

T_kun

T_kun is on a distinguished road

Hi to all reading this post. I got a problem and I would appreciate some help. Basically I burned a data CD/R on a PC and I want to copy the contents of the CD to my mac.Cd was formatted with the PC. The files copied were folders containing music,mp3 format. I can't copy anything. Rather Mac os x won't display any folders when i open the cd. Could someone help me. Is that a problem with the formatting of the CD/R...cuz was thinking that the file systems might not agree or is it just that the cd is not working? What should I do to copy the files to the mac if it is possible. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
hellstens

hellstens is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2Ghz 2GB Ram 250GB HD OS X 10.55

Go the easy way, put the files on a USB Memorystic
Otherwise you need a crossover platform program
I am new to Mac to, but I solve my problem by the USB
Now I have a virtual machine installed and can use XP same time, and now it read cd and ntfs files easy
good luck
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Sorry Hellstens but this
Quote:
Otherwise you need a crossover platform program
is a bit mis-leading. The OPs problem isn't an application issue.

When writing the disc don't use any packet writing software where you have to format the CD. Just create a data CD with your MP3s on it.

If you create a standard data CD it will work on any platform.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
hellstens

Ok so if I use VMware Fusion and XP it still don't read the CD?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstens View Post
Ok so if I use VMware Fusion and XP it still don't read the CD?
Not sure what you're asking?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
hellstens

you say i a miss-leading him when I say he need crossover platform, and I ask you if I run Windows XP in Mac I still can not read the CD?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
you say i a miss-leading him when I say he need crossover platform, and I ask you if I run Windows XP in Mac I still can not read the CD?
There are many different ways to write a CD. One of the methods that many CD writing applications offer is called "packet writing". Packet writing treats a CD as though it were any other type of media, allowing you to write many times over to the same session. The trouble is, in order to read that kind of a CD, you need to have software installed on the destination PC that is capable of discerning that somewhat proprietary writing method.

What MrPlow is saying is that the issue isn't one of software compatibility. It's that the OP's Mac doesn't have a packet writing application installed. The same would be true if he were going from his Windows machine to another Windows machine that doesn't have packet writing software.

With that said, it's not really necessary to have such an application if the OP simply creates a standard "data" disc from the CD writing app of their choice.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

The OP hasn't posted back so I suspect this is a dead topic.

However, I suspect the problem is with how the disc was written.

For instance if the disc was formatted for packet writing and not 'finished' (rather than burning the whole disc at once) you would need a UDF driver installed for it to read. That's just one scenario that would explain what's happening.

QUOTE Thanks
hellstens

Ok I understand what you men, now I se he format the CD that is a different
thing,
Sorry for that, I don't se in the beginning, (dirty glasses ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Ok I understand what you men, now I se he format the CD that is a different
thing,
Sorry for that, I don't se in the beginning, (dirty glasses ;-)
Windows XP introduced packet writing into the OS, but understand that it's not the proper way to master a CD. It's convenient, but it really should be used for casual burning and not for anything archival or to use between systems.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Restart problem | SPACES- won't let me open iTUNES »