New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Wipe broken macbook HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

Hi, a friends macbook has died (it won't turn on, he has replaced the battery etc...) It's a real old model, about 3 years. He is wanting to put it on ebay for spares and buy a new one.

Is there a way he can wipe his HD or, if not possible, how he can remove it?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If his MacBook won't turn on and he's tried everything, the only way to wipe the HDD is to remove it and place it in an external case or use an adapter. He can then attach the external case with the drive or the adapter with the drive to another Mac or a PC and secure wipe the drive.

You didn't mention what model Mac he has. Get the model number and search the Apple knowledge base for instructions on how to remove the drive. I'm assuming he wants to secure wipe the drive and put it back in the machine so he can sell it on eBay.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
shfle

shfle will become famous soon enough

Might sound ridiculously obvious but is he sure the mac is broken and not just the adaptor, has he tried changing the fuse in the adaptor plug etc.?

Is it just the brightness that is turned right down?

I'm sure he's probably checked these but i've known it happen
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

He has bought a new mains adapter, the light shows it is charging, but it will not power on.

I thought he might have to remove it, ill let him know and search the knowledge database. Is that on the Apple site?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X Interface Graphics | New mac user, new format, please help!! »