New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook - Won't boot up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SnowmanSimon

SnowmanSimon is on a distinguished road

mackbook froze for the 1st time ever. Just brwosing and it froze I restarted it and now it won't boot up. Grey screen for a few minutes then an icon with a folder and a question mark. So now what? I did install crucial ram 2GB about a month ago so I'm gonna install the original 1GB and see if it boots up.
QUOTE Thanks
SnowmanSimon

update:

Now I get the spinning apple logo which goes for ever. Also if I hold down C in boot up I can't get to the CD. I can hold D and get to the hardware test and it all checks out good. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
SnowmanSimon

another update:

Tried booting up holding T and came up with a screen with a battery logo near the bottom and what looked like a FireWire logo bouncing around the screen? This makes no sense??? Anyone with any input? I tried booting from install disk and from external backup with no luck what so ever. At this point I don't care if I lose what's on the MacBook I just want to get it working again!

I took pics with my iPhone which is where I'm posting from but I don't know how to upload them from the phone.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try resetting the PRAM and NVRAM. See the following Apple KB article:

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

If that doesn't do it, you may have to take a trip to your local Apple store or repair center. Is the machine still under warranty or apple care?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
SnowmanSimon

Tried everything. Wont boot from CD or external HD and tried my old ram. This tells me its something else which means $$$. Bummer I got an email about 2 months ago telling me it was my last chance for extended apple care. I though ahhh Ive never had anything worse then a HD fail so I didn't bother. Regretting it now. Anyone know prices on getting either motherboard, CPU, video card replaced? Pretty much anything other then the HD and ram?
QUOTE Thanks
SnowmanSimon

ok so Im trying to boot from the ext. HD now. Power on while holding option. The internal HD doesn't come up in the list only the external. So I select the ext. HD and it brings me to a blue screen that says I have to restart my computer in several languages. I'm so confused. Almost lois as if my internal HD is bad along with something else?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cleaning up Space | Unable to open mail »