New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - volume access denied error -36

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

panzercommander

panzercommander is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody,

A couple days ago i played with my volume autorizations and i accidentally put it in ''read only'' mode.

Oh and i'm running 10.4.11

When I try to change it back with my account and password, there is a warning that tells ''error code -36''

Then i tried to solve it myself by going in the root account. But even then, when i write the password with ''System Administrator'' name, it tells me again ''error code -36''

What should I do?

Thank you in advance.

By the way, sorry for my bad english. I live in a region in canada where we mainly speak french.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Bonjour M'sieur. Hey, your English is fine, perfectly clear, no worries. But the error -36 report could be caused by a number of things. Essentially it's an I/O (input/output) error.

I have to ask this - are you sure you're entering the right password at root account? I thought was just 'administrator' without the ' ' or 'system').

I think you may need to log into your computer by booting with the original Disk 1, and restore the admin settings, including password. You should also run Disk Utility from Disk 1, verify and repair if necessary. Let us know of any progress.
QUOTE Thanks
panzercommander

panzercommander is on a distinguished road

Wow, i'm still amazed when i see people trying helping me!

Hughvane, I tried what you told me and it's still not working. I think i will go see a mac technician to figure out what's going on...

Thank you,

But what do you mean by admin setting? reseting the password? (i've done this too)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard and iDVD incompatibility | compacted files »