New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Leopard + WEP Key WiFi = Bad?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Faeran

Faeran is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody OS X SL

I actually just got done with a horrible ordeal involving my Macbook Pro, running OS X 10.5.5. I had been freaking out for about a month trying to figure out what was wrong with my computer because all web related applications would load HORRIBLY slow, more often than not timing out.
After removing my WEP encryption key for my wireless, all my problems went away. Everything loads fast like it used to, and I am very happy again.
So, I think it is safe for me to say Leopard + WEP = DEATH
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

WEP is horrible anyway and totally non-secure (extremely easy to crack). You should be using WPA.

Glad you fixed your problem though.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeafter2am View Post
WEP is horrible anyway and totally non-secure (extremely easy to crack). You should be using WPA.

Glad you fixed your problem though.
Agreed. WPA is the way to go. Don't just turn off all security

Oddly a lot of newer Mac kit seems to have issues with WEP.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Phoenix Scanner

Phoenix Scanner is on a distinguished road

WPA is actually WORSE with this problem. I know just what the OP is talking about. The only way wifi works with leopard on my macbook is with no key at all. Otherwise it won't connect on wake or start, and drops the connection constantly. It really sucks and has lowered my opinion of apple a great deal.

This is a widespread issue.

Macbook 13" / 320GB 7200 RPM HD 16MB / C2D 2 GHZ / 2GB / Snow Leopard / Boot Camp / XP PRO SP3
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

My Macbook has problems with WPA. I get frequent disconnects when my router is on WPA. I must use WEP instead so it will not disconnect me randomly.

I wish I could use WPA but I guess WEP is better than nothing.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
Phoenix Scanner

Phoenix Scanner is on a distinguished road

Well, yeah, it is, but...

It is so easily hacked from just gathering packets.

You almost would be better off just using mac filtering on the router. Sure a mac address can be spoofed, but a wep key is just as easily cracked, and the key whether wep or wpa seems to cause the issue with leopard. Very irritating. After looking at apple discussions I am really upset to see THOUSANDS of post from people complaining about this issue. People who have no such problems on the same network with their windows machines. People who didn't have the problem with tiger. It is a leopard issue, plain and simple. Yet apple seems to be pretending it doesn't exist.

Macbook 13" / 320GB 7200 RPM HD 16MB / C2D 2 GHZ / 2GB / Snow Leopard / Boot Camp / XP PRO SP3
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Forgot to add that I am still using Tiger. No Leopard here.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
mac1

mac1 is on a distinguished road

New to Mac but it was one of the worst ordeals setting up my I Book with my network. Probably didn't know what I was doing but in the long run got it fixed and I am running leopard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .8 Why is that the finder version? | Change all files owned by one user to a different user? »