New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Keyboard shortcut: Cut

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

How come the "Cut" option is disabled? I want something similar to CTRL+V in XP.
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Well, Ctrl+V is paste for a start.

And it's not disabled... have you tried Cmd+X, Cmd+C etc? A lot of shortcuts are the same, just use Command instead of Control.
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaheadpunk View Post
Well, Ctrl+V is paste for a start.

And it's not disabled... have you tried Cmd+X, Cmd+C etc? A lot of shortcuts are the same, just use Command instead of Control.
I meant CTRL+X in Windows.

I tried CMD+X in Leopard, but, like I said, it's disabled when I went to Edit > Cut
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

In one application or all of them? If you select the text of my post and hit Cmd+C the hit Cmd+V elsewhere does it not copy it?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherid View Post
I tried CMD+X in Leopard, but, like I said, it's disabled when I went to Edit > Cut
Ska's question is important - in what application are you trying to cut?

I know when tutoring software use, the single-most misunderstanding is that in order to be able to cut-paste or copy-paste, first something must be selected.

You cannot simply cut text from this answer for example, because editing of the text is blocked. Nor can you 'cut' from an email message someone sends you, the editing function is invalid. You can however select-copy-paste.
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaheadpunk View Post
In one application or all of them? If you select the text of my post and hit Cmd+C the hit Cmd+V elsewhere does it not copy it?
It's on the desktop. I'm getting rid of the clutter on my desktop and moving it around to different folders. I wanted the Cut option to avoid having two copies.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Are you trying to use 'Cut' to remove (delete) an item from your desktop? If so, it won't work. Once you've moved an item to a folder, it should be away from the desktop anyway. But if you're copying (Option-drag-drop) an item to a folder, then the original will remain on the desktop. To get rid of it, use Cmd-Delete to send it to Trash, and then empty the Trash when you've finished tidying.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Cut is not an option in the Finder. To move files around, you have to either drag and drop, or copy and paste to the new location and then delete the original.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
arcuspilot

arcuspilot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid-2010 MacBook Pro 13" running Mountain Lion and Win 7 Bootcamp

This is from a post in another thread on these forums:

The first is a feature that has been missing in OS X for a while, which is the ability to cut and paste files. Microsoft introduced this in Windows quite a while ago with the Ctrl-X / Ctrl-V combination, but Apple didn't have a similar option, resulting in people resorting to various scripts and utilities to get this functionality. Apple has finally implemented this feature in OS X Lion, but has not done so by duplicating the Cut and Paste options that are seen in Windows. Instead, you first select a file or multiple files and then press Command-C to put it on the clipboard, followed by either pressing Command-V to copy the file, or Option-Command-V to move the file to the desired location.

I'm enjoying my mid-2010 MacBook Pro 13"
iOS is Mountain Lion with Win 7 Bootcamp
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snow Leopard back in the apple store | Mac is running slow »