Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
    Hiding OS folders
    I've got RECYCLER, SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION, and MSDOWNLOAD.TMP sitting visibly on my external HD. How can I hide folders like these?

Specs:
    Bump please

you could add a leading dot, but then windows won't recognize them and will recreate new ones if you connect that drive to a windows pc again.

do you often switch back and forth between mac and windows with this external?

your best bet is just to delete them as you see them.
    you're also likely to see the hidden OS X files on the windows machine, such as ".DS_Store", these can also be deleted.
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    you could add a leading dot, but then windows won't recognize them and will recreate new ones if you connect that drive to a windows pc again.

do you often switch back and forth between mac and windows with this external?

your best bet is just to delete them as you see them.
    you're also likely to see the hidden OS X files on the windows machine, such as ".DS_Store", these can also be deleted.
    The drive was previously connected to a Windows machine, but I'm going to keep it on Mac from now on. Are you sure they're safe to delete?

Specs:
    It won't let me delete them (error code 61), but isn't there a way to hide/make invisible OS folders like these?

is this drive formatted NTFS? if so it is probably only readable, not writable from OS X. If this is the case you will need to copy everything on it somewhere you can retrieve it later and reformat the drive anything other than NTFS. If you are ever going to use it on a windows machine again i would recomend FAT32.

Error code 61 is -61 Write permissions error; Not a publisher.
    see this site for what error codes mean.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackintosh View Post
    is this drive formatted NTFS? if so it is probably only readable, not writable from OS X. If this is the case you will need to copy everything on it somewhere you can retrieve it later and reformat the drive anything other than NTFS. If you are ever going to use it on a windows machine again i would recomend FAT32.

Error code 61 is -61 Write permissions error; Not a publisher.
    see this site for what error codes mean.
    Yeah, I think it is NTFS. How do I make it FAT32?

first you will need to backup anything you want to keep from that drive. Reformatting will erase all data. Next open disk utility (just do a search for it in spotlight) and reformat using an option that is not NTFS

click here for a step by step to using disk utility.

DO NOT format that drive in FAT32! Unless you want a lot of headaches. You are better off getting drivers to enable OS X to have write access to NTFS volumes. Here's a link to an old post of mine with more links to why not to use FAT32.

Of course, if you are never going to use that drive with Windows again, then you are best off backing up your data and reformatting it in HFS+.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    DO NOT format that drive in FAT32! Unless you want a lot of headaches. You are better off getting drivers to enable OS X to have write access to NTFS volumes. Here's a link to an old post of mine with more links to why not to use FAT32.

Of course, if you are never going to use that drive with Windows again, then you are best off backing up your data and reformatting it in HFS+.
    Which drivers and where can I get them?

Quote Originally Posted by rsherid View Post
    Which drivers and where can I get them?
    Referenced in the aforementioned link.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    I have yet to make the drive Mac compatible, but I had a question about viewing its contents: I'm trying to find out the dimensions of a .jpg file. Typically, I could right click > get info but these .jpg's on the hard drive have that info disabled -- it's just blank. Why would this be?

Specs:
    Referenced in the aforementioned link.
    Great fix -- thank you -- except why won't Spotlight search the external drive?

Quote Originally Posted by rsherid View Post
    Great fix -- thank you -- except why won't Spotlight search the external drive?
    Presumably that's the standard behavior because it is an external drive. If you disconnect the drive, there's no access to what's on it. Indexing it would generate inaccessible hits when disconnected.

You can change this though. Instructions here:
    http://veerle.duoh.com/blog/comments...ernal_volumes/

------
    ------

Specs:
    You can change this though. Instructions here:
    Using Spotlight to index external volumes | Veerle's blog
    Ok, so I type 'mdutil -i on /Volumes/Local Disk' in Terminal and it says it's an invalid path. So then I try to rename my external and the spot to rename it (in Right Click > Get Info) is greyed out, i.e., locked.

Thread Information