New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Update from 10.4 to 10.5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mini1

mini1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.7.4/Windows Vista Ultimate

I'm now ready to complete the update. I got a SeaGate Freeagent Pro 500GB firewire 400 external drive. I've got SuperDuper. I've got the 10.5 upgrade disc. I need to copy the entire mac HD to the external drive to create a fully bootable external disc (have lots of expensive software on computer now, but no software CD's to reinstall).

Do I just go into SuperDuper and hit copy Mac HD to Freeagent Pro? Will that make a bootable disc image?

Then once an image has been completed, should I insert the 10.5 Disc and hit archive and install?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mini1

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.7.4/Windows Vista Ultimate

Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Super Duper will create a full clone of you drive to the Freeagent that is bootable. Download the Leopard combi update and copy that to the external drive as well

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...mboupdate.html

I would then use the Leopard DVD to do a fresh clean install, no archive since you already have a bootable back-up.

Once leopard is installed you can run the update you downloaded earlier

Reboot, and then use Migration Assistant (in Utilities) to move all your apps, files and settings from your Freeagent drive back to that nice fresh Leopard install you did
QUOTE Thanks
mini1

won't the update install after I get 10.5 on the computer?
QUOTE Thanks
mini1

Last time I asked this question, everyone said Archive and Install.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
Archive and Install

Select this option if you want to install a "fresh" system on your computer. This type of installation moves existing System files to a folder named Previous System, then installs a new copy of Mac OS X. You cannot start up your computer using the Previous System folder.
Archive and Install installations require the largest amount of available disk space because you need to have room to preserve your existing System and the new one you are installing. This is a good choice if you've already backed up your important files and are trying to resolve an existing issue. Mac OS X-installed applications, such as Address Book and Safari, are archived, and new versions are installed in the Applications folder.
Some applications, plug-ins, and other software may have to be reinstalled after an “Archive and Install.” Fonts that were installed in the Fonts folder in the top-level Library folder can be installed in your new system by copying them from the Previous System folder.
If you have a full install of 10.5 and not an upgrade of 10.5. You can do an archive and install. What that does is save a copy of your old system configuration. Then you can copy of some miscellaneous stuff if you need it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A very strange problem | Lock toolbar items throughout system? »