New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Folder Icons

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

y0itsj0hn

y0itsj0hn is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB DDR3, OS 10.6.8

how can i change the icons of folders i create.. ie not the standard blue folder
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

if you click on get the info of the folder (cmd+i) or file->get info, then click on the icon in the top left hand corner, you can copy and past between file icons. (the icon has to be selected with a blue glow around it, copy and paste the icons with cmd+c and cmd+v) to do this you have to have something with the same icon as what you would like, most often if you make your own picture, it will have the picture as the icon.
QUOTE Thanks
Forum Shark

Forum Shark is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)

I have a question... How do you change them back!?

Please follow me to Twitter! http://twitter.com/ForumShark
QUOTE Thanks
y0itsj0hn

y0itsj0hn is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB DDR3, OS 10.6.8

alright i'm able to use the icons of other files, but not sure how to set a picture as an icon.. like a .jpg or .png picture i have on my comp that i'd like to use as an icon. any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

img2icns ... http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/18369 I couldn't get it to work, maybe you'll have better luck.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Shark View Post
I have a question... How do you change them back!?
Locate an ordinary/plain folder somewhere on your Mac and use the same process as explained earlier to copy its icon image to the one you wish to change back to its original.
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

the easiest way to change them back, is in the info window, select the icon and hit your delete key.

also, this seems to be a hit and miss solution, usually based on the file type, but if you open a .png, or .jpg etc.. in preview, select all, copy, then paste in the info window it will (usually) work.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0itsj0hn View Post
not sure how to set a picture as an icon.. like a .jpg or .png picture i have on my comp that i'd like to use as an icon. Any advice?
Yes. And thanks for prodding me with your question.

Find a favourite pic, one that you'd like to attach to (possibly) a related or often-used folder. Trim the picture as much as possible, although I'm not sure that's absolutely essential, and then Copy.

Now choose the plain folder and Get Info. Click the icon showing in the top of the folder Info window to select it and then Paste. Hey presto! The pic should now show on the folder.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Source file cannot be read | customizing the finder? »