New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Mac OS X updates are becoming a pain...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bgaynham

bgaynham is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17", 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB 667 MHz RAM OS X 10.5.x

I thought Windows was bad with the constant patches but now, every second week there is a new update for OS X.

My gripe is that the file size is so big (this is not something that internet users in first world countries understand as you don't get charged exorbitant rates for slooow bandwidth by a monopoly telecom company) and contains updates for things that are not even relevant to my OS.

Is there anywhere that one can download or check for updates that only pertain to my OS instead of having to download the one huge file?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I you select software update which is under the blue apple on the left top corner of your screen. I t will show up only the data sets you need to update your system. I you are 10.4.5 and moving to 10.4.11, then you will be downloading a large date file. In this case the combo updater. If you are moving from 10.4.10 to 10.4.11 then it will be a smaller data file. The size and number of data sets/files depends on what you are trying to do or accomplish.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Endorsing what rman points out, may I also add that you don't need every update offered. For example, if you don't have an iPhone, don't bother with iTunes updates for it; if you're happy with your present version of iTunes, don't update it. If you don't use Safari, ignore the updates.

Security and Java updates are essential. I agree, it is a pain having them presented regularly, but the legendary MacOS security depends on them.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

I agree with hughvane, I simply download what I needed, not everything that appears on the software update checklist.
QUOTE Thanks
bgaynham

Thanks for the feedback. I do only download those updates I feel are necessary or for software that I use. I'm on 10.4.11 and the update is Security Update 2008-006 which is 159MB. Not so long ago 2008-005 was released and that was also over 100MB.

When you look at what the security update includes, it has updates to software that is not even on my machine! Why can't I only download updates for 10.4.11?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The security updates apply to 10.4.11.

If it is a particular issue in South Africa try contacting apple South Africa and telling them, I am sure you are not the only one frustrated by the large downloads.

http://www.applepro.co.za/main/main/...th-africa.html

Try that for starters
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What software have you removed from OSX and your Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
bgaynham

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
What software have you removed from OSX and your Mac?
I haven't removed anything but if you look at the details for the patch at - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3137 - you will see that quite a lot of the issues addressed do not concern 10.4.11 but rather 10.5 and Server. My gripe is that those issues do not concern me so why does Apple bundle updates for all different versions of the OS in one big update file?

I realise that this is a rhetorical question as nobody in this forum makes that decision, it's just something that irritates me. I wonder if Apple SA will post me the updates on disc? How likely is that given the disregard of 'customer satisfaction' in this country!?!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keeping my new iMAC cleaned up. | Resizing disk image »