New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - serial number, can i locate it in the home directory?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chem

chem is on a distinguished road

Long story short... one of our employee's stole one of our laptops.

The bad, this laptop was brand new and not checked in yet....

The cops are asking for the serial number....

i have a copy of her home directory, can i find the computer serial number somewhere in there? (we run network homes here, that's why i have a full copy of her home directory).

Laptop was running 10.5.4
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I dont think so, can you contact the dealer or seller to see if they have a record of it
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

in the about this mac window on most modern macs, click on the text under the big bold OS X.

OSX must store that somewhere, but im not sure where? I doubt it would be in the home directory. But I would certainly poke around and look for it.
Attached Images
File Type: png serial.png (38.0 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chem View Post
Long story short... one of our employee's stole one of our laptops.

The bad, this laptop was brand new and not checked in yet....

The cops are asking for the serial number....

i have a copy of her home directory, can i find the computer serial number somewhere in there? (we run network homes here, that's why i have a full copy of her home directory).

Laptop was running 10.5.4
It's on your invoice for the computer if you still have that.
QUOTE Thanks
chem

laptop was purchased from Amazon... i have the invoice but it holds no S/N
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Did you register it with Apple when you got it?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Then contact Apple: They should be able to use the invoice number to find the serial number.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I assume you are also planning on stricter asset control at this point, ie.. getting SN's for all your other business assets.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
chem

thanks guys, ill try contacting apple...

it was registered during setup.... however on there web site i dont see any information... maybe apple can pull it up?

i have made a note to catalog all our equipment
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
it was registered during setup.... however on there web site i dont see any information... maybe apple can pull it up?
If it's registered with Apple, which is the default at first boot, you should call AppleCare or visit a store. They will likely be able to pull it up.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

S/N should be on the box if you still have it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Backing up my applications | gambling addiction, need block. »