New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Macbook pro running really HOT!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wombat123

Wombat123 is on a distinguished road

My Macbook Pro is running really hot.
I know this is quite common so normally I wouldn't be too worried but it made me do a bit of investigating. I've got iStatpro on my machine and its telling me that everything is Really hot. I ran the activity process app and found that there were 2 processes running called "scheduledScanne" which are each using up about 90% of the CPU (i'm not too sure if % is the right term but you get the drift!)

I can't tell what these activities are. I do have a norton Virus checker on my machine and it was set to scan drives when they were mounted but I've turned this feature off as I thought it might be the problem but they are still there.

Anyone got any ideas what they are and if its OK to try killing them to see if my machine returns to normal?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
05GT

05GT will become famous soon enough

Have you stopped the processes using Activity Monitor? If so, did they start right back up?

-13.3 Macbook Pro Retina / 64GB iP5 / 16GB iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
Wombat123

I've just restarted and they've disappeared!
this is great but I's still like to know what they were and why they were using so much CPU!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I would uninstall Norton. The software is poorly written, poorly supported, and typical Symantec crap. That goes for the Windows version as well as the OS X one. Just my negative opinion of course, but the massive use of CPU cycles to run automatic virus scans (that really aren't needed) is something that's not only annoying but totally unwarranted.

BTW, in case you haven't figured out yet what was churning away at your CPU driving up the temperature, it was the Norton scheduled auto scanner.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Wombat123

Thanx for the advice
will kill Norton
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« unable to copy file to folder?? | Program Installation »