New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

If you don't backup up your Mac, why not?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

Just wondering... for those that still refuse to make backups...

if you are not doing it, how come?

I'd like to hear the reasons...
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Cos Time Machine was such a pain in the bum the first time you back up, and then it all went wrong and I had to do it again... and after the third time I just started saving copies of all my pictures and things I actual value onto my iDisk.

I also currently have no optical drive - if something goes that badly wrong I've got no way to reinstall the OS anyway...
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I have back ups of my very important files but no system wide back ups until I can afford more hard drives, for now the reason I don't do system wide back ups is because hard drives that can fit the entire system are to expensive for me to afford at this time.

However, I do have back ups of current projects and things I don't already have on optical media, or is easily accessed from the same location I got it for free.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

Cause I can't afford an external HDD lol.

The dark is passion, the light is logic.
QUOTE Thanks
Capitalcrew

Capitalcrew is on a distinguished road

I don't feel like it.
QUOTE Thanks
dauber

dauber is a jewel in the roughdauber is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04

Why do I not back up my Mac?

Well, because I can't figure out how to put it in reverse.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

everything that is 'important' is stored on a server, which is backed up to tape nightly, the contents of my hard drive that are not backed up elsewhere are expendable. A rebuild wouldn't hurt me.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauber View Post
Why do I not back up my Mac?

Well, because I can't figure out how to put it in reverse.
lets hope you can remain funny when your hd crashes someday and your data is lost
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalcrew View Post
I don't feel like it.

this was me for years... that and I didn't care to spend the $100 for an external drive
QUOTE Thanks
dauber

dauber is a jewel in the roughdauber is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgig View Post
lets hope you can remain funny when your hd crashes someday and your data is lost
In all seriousness, I do back up my MacBook -- and in fact I'm doing it right now as I type this...I bought a 500-gig external drive (for $75!!!) a couple of months ago for that purpose.
QUOTE Thanks
Capitalcrew

Capitalcrew is on a distinguished road

Let me just add in that I have nothing of value on here. Haha. I still wouldn't though, I'm far too lazy for that.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

I don't know. I feel like nothing wrong is going to happen with my HDD, so I just careless. If some day some how a virus or a spyware infects my OSX, I'll just backup and reformat.
QUOTE Thanks
Nevermore

Nevermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

My backup system to accomodate my Mac. I was using Mozy as well as Acronis and external hard drives with my PC but a beyond believable stupid operator error (um, that would be me) caused me to lose a half years' worth of digital art.

I vehemently dislike Mozy's Mac version and will not be renewing my subscription. Just last night I downloaded SuperDuper to give it a go and I liked it so I will buy it. Was able to reformat my external drive to Mac Journal (extended) with no headaches so I will be doing daily backup again soon.

I also run Time Machine manually on another external hard drive.

I am going to buy a third and take that one into the office, bring it home once a month. Not as good as daily off-site Mozy but I can live with it: between Time Machine, home ehd and work ehd I should end up with something no matter what.

When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose but if you lose something you had, it just hurts. $300 for hard drives is far far far less than I would pay to get my artwork back.
QUOTE Thanks
kirby14

kirby14 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
everything that is 'important' is stored on a server, which is backed up to tape nightly, the contents of my hard drive that are not backed up elsewhere are expendable. A rebuild wouldn't hurt me.
+1 Why backup individually when you can backup all data on multiple machines at once.

Mac Pro | 3GB | 250GB| Dell E207WFP
QUOTE Thanks
Kaze'aze

Kaze'aze is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 200GB Hard Drive, Leopard

uhh because i dont know how and im afraid i wont know how to put it back in if it crashes >.<
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Label colors? How to change | Disk Utility Doesn't Repair. What to do? ( PIC ) »