Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i would like the idea of a bare metal backup, something i dont have on my MacBookPro.

i have a file server at home and one at work, it would be nice if TimeMachine would be able to access these server(s) seamless

seems when TimeMachine is working it backups every hour, its files get very large over time, way too much junk. most of my data is on one of those two servers not on the macbookpro without the ability to rebuild a complete macbook pro timemachine is lo value.

Specs:
    Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    everything that is 'important' is stored on a server, which is backed up to tape nightly, the contents of my hard drive that are not backed up elsewhere are expendable. A rebuild wouldn't hurt me.
    Second that. Although I don't do a tape backup nightly. I have all my important stuff on my personal server on my network. I don't keep anything data on my macbook besides some music that I can listen to when I'm not at home.
    Use not abuse the rep system!

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    I did it for a while, then stopped. Anything of real importance is not kept on my boot drive but on one of my many (8) non-boot drives. A boot drive failure won't really cost me anything since I can get all of the apps back and any one of the non-boot drives failing won't be catastrophic since the data is spread out. Owning a good data recovery App, like Data Rescue II, is essential though.

i'm considering switching to wax cylinder - you know, to avoid EM pulse weapons.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
    i dont back up because i do not have any important files. we havent taken any worthwhile pictures in a year or so. and everything we have can be replaced. basically our macs are for internet access and email.

Specs:
    13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
    because i don't have leopard and therefore don't have time machine. I have tiger…
    Vikram Shah

why would that keep you from backing up?
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Specs:
    17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
    I want to, but just haven't done it yet. I keep my music on a 120gb external to save up some room on the 80gb internal. Once I upgraded to Leopard, I was anxiously awaiting to use Time Machine. But apparently for Time Machine's first use, the backup drive must be completely empty, nothing in it. So I have to move my music, plus other stuff... again... in order to make it happen. I've been thinking of purchasing another external (been watching prices on larger models) so I can start a new backup, and even backup my music onto this other hd.

So... just haven't done it yet.
    "Of course I'm serious. And stop calling me Shirley."

Interesting thread.

I see several flippant posts with "because" or "I don't feel like it" as reasons for not backing up their Macs. I don't know if the posters are serious; I hope not.

But it's always amusing when I see someone post something in these forums with a heading like this:

"PULEEEEZE HELP!!!!!! I LOST ALL MY DATA!!!!! WHAT DO I DO NOW!!!!"
    iMac G3
    600 MHz
    OS 10.3.9

well got my imac this past jan 2008, hard drive died about 2 weeks ago and lost everything...now i back it up with time machine. simple as a bell!

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Largo View Post
    Interesting thread.

I see several flippant posts with "because" or "I don't feel like it" as reasons for not backing up their Macs. I don't know if the posters are serious; I hope not.

But it's always amusing when I see someone post something in these forums with a heading like this:

"PULEEEEZE HELP!!!!!! I LOST ALL MY DATA!!!!! WHAT DO I DO NOW!!!!"
    I can 100% assure you that I will not be making one of those posts, nor will I be backing up my mac.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    I did it for a while, then stopped. Anything of real importance is not kept on my boot drive but on one of my many (8) non-boot drives. A boot drive failure won't really cost me anything since I can get all of the apps back and any one of the non-boot drives failing won't be catastrophic since the data is spread out. Owning a good data recovery App, like Data Rescue II, is essential though.
    Me and Baggs have the same exact life story in the back up department except I have some non-boot drives with a significant amount of important files on them, and those files are backed up.

I am thinking that I should back those up to drives and put them in a Safe Deposit box or keep them in a friends house.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Thread Information