New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Classic desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cloudane

Since you can't boot to OS 9 on the newer hardware, I'm just wondering if there's any way to see the actual desktop in Classic mode?

It shows the startup screen and if you're running an app you get to see the menu bar so I can't see why not. Just to get a sense of history I'd quite like to have a poke around with the old desktop and see what it feels like, but can't see how to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

I'd like to see it too, that'd be cool. We use OS 9.2 in college and it would be fun to look at it in more depth at home.

QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

the only way I can imagine is a partitioned drive, one os 9, the other os x, and boot from the os 9 drive, or get a virtual desktop simulator and have one run os 9?
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-

the desktop is no different .. hide your dock and in a classic app, click the apple menu, and thats what itd look like (minus vector icons)... but most of the apple menu items are disabled under classic mode, like control panels and such

QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
the only way I can imagine is a partitioned drive, one os 9, the other os x, and boot from the os 9 drive, or get a virtual desktop simulator and have one run os 9?
I think he mentionned newer hardware, which doesn't boot on OS9 anymore, but only runs it in Classic mode...it's not a matter of partitioning, but simply because of the new hardware not being supported by OS9 anymore.
The Classic environment in OS X is like Virtual PC, it creates a "fake" environment for OS 9.

Unfortunately, there's no way to start Classic in OS X, showing the actual OS 9 desktop...as far as I know...
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Classic is an application controlled by OS X just like any other application.

I believe that I have this right…
When your boot system is OS 9 (or any other system prior to OS X) it runs an application that is called the "Finder". The Finder is the application that performs tasks that are executed from the desktop. One of tasks is to display the desktop. Since Classic doesn't run "Finder" as an application (if it even runs Finder at all), you can't have the desktop.

Here is a hack (untested) that claims it will run finder and display the OS 9 desktop. Seems like this is asking for trouble, so back up your HD's.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Go ahead and post it

I know it's silly, and Apple obviously think so too, but I just want to play with an OS9 environment because I never saw it. I'm strange that way, minor differences between operating systems has always been excitement for me I remember getting thoroughly excited when they released AmigaOS 2.0 and flitting between that and 1.3 going "ooh ahh"...

There are various emulators out there that will run OS 9.0 but of course 9.2/Classic is the only one I have and doubt it'd be legal to use 9.0 even if I could find it for download somewhere.

And yes, it's a newest model Powerbook G4 so it isn't going to boot OS9 itself.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Sorry Cloudane, I forgot to post the link.
http://www.macopinion.com/columns/tangible/01/04/02/

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudane
Go ahead and post it

I know it's silly, and Apple obviously think so too, but I just want to play with an OS9 environment because I never saw it. I'm strange that way, minor differences between operating systems has always been excitement for me I remember getting thoroughly excited when they released AmigaOS 2.0 and flitting between that and 1.3 going "ooh ahh"...

There are various emulators out there that will run OS 9.0 but of course 9.2/Classic is the only one I have and doubt it'd be legal to use 9.0 even if I could find it for download somewhere.

And yes, it's a newest model Powerbook G4 so it isn't going to boot OS9 itself.
Another possibility would be to get one of those older PowerMacs (pre-G3) for a few bucks off of eBay, just to play around a little...
I have a PowerMac 7600/200 which I used to play with old systems (7.6.1, 8.5, 8.6, 9.1 and 9.2.1, 9.2.2, both not supported on that machine).
What's amazing is that even what this old Mac is still able to do... :yinyang:
QUOTE Thanks
JRJ26

exactly what i'm trying to do! I'm just going to purchase an older Mac, mostly b/c i liked the older models, and I can have OS X and OS 9 dual boot.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help w/ port forwarding | Safari/35 disk fragnments after Drive 10 defrag. »