New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Help!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Faeran

Faeran is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody OS X SL

Running:
Macbook Pro 15" Intel Core2 Duo 2.2GHz
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Leopard OS X 10.5.4

I don't know what in the world is going on, but starting about a week ago, my Mac started exhibiting very bad problems:

-Programs would freeze for minutes at a time, most of the time ending up crashing completely
-Firefox loads web pages at about 3 kb/s download speed, most of the time just timing out
-Almost all programs load abysmally slow
-Using Dashboard or Spaces makes the OS crash, requiring a restart
-The whole OS seems unstable

Needless to say, the alarm bells stated going off when I found myself saying "If only Leopard would be as stable as Vista" as I used bootcamp to switch to Vista.

I've used PC's with Windows for years so I know what it looks like when a computer is infected with a virus, and Leopard doing this makes me very concerned that there may be some sort of virus dwelling in the system. Yes, I said it, horrible as that may sound, that's how it seems. I hope to god that I am wrong and just have something trivial going on.

If that is the case, Someone please tell me how to fix this! I'm desperate for a solution!

(Programs that crashed while trying to post this message)
-Firefox (4 times just trying to get into this forum)
-Safari (3 times, tried using as an alternative to Firefox to get to the forums)
-MSN messenger (2 times)
-iTunes (2 times)
-System Preferences (Didn't know it could crash, but it is still sitting there bouncing up and down like it is trying to load)
-Mail (2 times)

HELP!!!! *begs*
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I doubt that it's a virus. So let's leave that for last.....

Do you have a copy of OnyX on hand? If not, download a copy from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582 (It's free)

Install it and run the program. Let it go through all the routines especially repairing permissions. If that doesn't help, boot the machine with your Leopard disk, run first aid and verify the disk.

Last, so you'll feel better... download this free Mac AV scanner and run it.

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/ClamXav.shtml

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Faeran

Mkay ran the scan, thankfully no viruses. Also, I ran OnyX and it found that my startup volume was invalid so I repaired that, and at the same time went into my disk utility and repaired the permissions. However, it's still acting the same way.... It's still being very unstable and I just switched back over to Vista to post this because Firefox wouldn't even open...
QUOTE Thanks
Faeran

Okay now I can't even boot into the OS, it just sits there with only my wallpaper loaded and has the spinning wheel of doom while it tries to load the dock >.< I think I may just need to wipe the system and redo it because I can't figure out what else to do and I'm getting tired of Vista
QUOTE Thanks
Faeran

As a last cry for help before I wipe and redo my system, anyone have any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Did you upgrade the ram a week ago?
Did you run software update prior to that instability

Otherwise, yes, back up your files and go for a fresh install, also consider reformating first to eliminate any bad format issues
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by old2 View Post
i think that is virus
You'll have to back up that claim with any evidence there is a virus out there. The only Trojans I know of typically just redirect your DNS servers, not have the ability to hack the core system and introduce instability
QUOTE Thanks
Faeran

My RAM upgrade was months and months ago and my system worked fine after those. This problem is very recent. And also no new software, so I think I'm just going to have to wipe
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sync 2 external directory trees? | Terminal and X11 Dead After Latest Update »