New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Boot-camp mystery...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

paul88

paul88 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I hope someone can help me with this.

I wanted to install XP Pro on my 2.4ghz, 1gb RAM, 320gb iMac (so I could play a few games). I got a genuine XP Pro with SP2, which I understand is the minimum requirement.

I followed the instructions using the Boot Camp application, and I partitioned 32gb for XP. I inserted the CD, all goes blue, and I began installing the XP operating system.

I was asked to select a partition - I chose 'C:' - the 32gb one (it was a bit less than 32gb in the end obviously, but the right partition either way) and the installation continued.

However, for some reason, an entire stage of formatting the partition does not occur i.e. it goes from selecting the partition, to install.

The screen which allows you to choose FAT or NTFS never appears... the setup continues, and I am basically going round in circles, being asked to install XP from scratch time and again.

Does anyone know why this happens? I have followed the instructions to the word, and I still get this issue.

Would be very grateful for help!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I had this happen to me too. I was told that it's because I used an OEM disc, I did not. I used VLA media, certainly fully licensed. Other than that I was given no solution. I'm just running it in a virtual machine now.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Paul88:

By genuine XP Pro SP2, are you referring to a full install version - either a MS boxed copy or a system builders OEM version? Either will work. If that's what you have I suggest you start over. If not, post back and let us know what it is you do have.

Go back to OS X, run the Boot Camp assistant again, select create partition, select RESTORE. That will remove the BC partition and restore the entire drive back to OS X. Reboot the machine.

Restart in OS X and run the Boot Camp assistant again. Select create partition and choose how much space you want for XP. I suggest something less than 32 GB unless you plan on playing very large games like the latest Flight Simulator from MS.

This time when you start the XP install, be careful to choose the partition labeled "Boot Camp" NOT drive C or anything else. Format as FAT-32 or NTFS. Allow the Windows installation program to reboot the machine. Do NOT press enter or anything else when the "boot from CD" message comes up on the screen. Windows will do its thing by itself.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
paul88

Thanks for both of your replies.

I have the OEM version as you described. I've made a note of your suggestions...will let you know how I get on!
QUOTE Thanks
paul88

Ok, so I have followed the instructions above and I am still having the same problem. After selecting the 'Boot Camp' partition, there is no option screen for formatting - it simply doesn't appear.

It goes from selecting the partition to use, to installing XP. There is no error message. The install completes, the machine reboots and the following text appears.

Press any key to boot from CD. . . . .

(followed by)

Disk Error

Press any key to restart

I waited ten minutes, and nothing else happened after this. Any further suggestions?!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

yep, it's not formatting. Exact same problem I ran into. Good luck, if you find a solution post it up. I was unable to.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I prevent OSX from creating all these files on my flash memory? | 10.5.5 Update »