"user Template"?

Question "user Template"?
    I was browsing through my library files this morning and found a folder called "USER TEMPLATE". Date modified says 1-Apr-76.
    I am mystified.
    The folder is restricted and won't let me in even tho I am the administrator on my computer.

So my question is: Is the "USER TEMPLATE" folder supposed to be in there restricted from 1976 and if not:

2) what do I do?

Thank you for any insight..!

(Powerbok G4
    OS X 10.4.11)

ps. Not to be paranoid, but all of the macs and pc's at work are being suspicious: ie. emails are being resent from months ago, without the sender ever actually having sent them.

"user Template"?
    Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    I've just replicated what you describe, finding the same-name folder in Computer > System > Library. I note in Get Info that the folder is dated 27 August 2008, which is the date 10.4.11 was reinstalled after a Disk Warrior repair job. I too am not able to get access (as administrator) to whatever is in the folder, not that it bothers me. The folder probably has vital OS files that should not be messed with.

How yours has got the 1 Apr 1976 date is indeed a mystery, but this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...59552&t=190670 and this http://www.time.com/time/80days/760401.html may explain something.

I cannot comment on your work situation other than I would suspect a trojan invasion of the Windows machines.

"user Template"?

Unhappy more 1-APR-76
    Thanks for your reply.
    At least I am not the only one locked out of the user template folder.
    I also noticed that iDVD and iMOVIE are now dated 1-Apr-76 as well.

As everyone at work is suspecting a virus of some sort causing the email weirdness I did scan my folders with ClamXav and MacScan. Would that modify my folder dates?

"user Template"?
    Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Quote Originally Posted by acletc View Post
    As everyone at work is suspecting a virus of some sort causing the email weirdness I did scan my folders with ClamXav and MacScan. Would that modify my folder dates?
    I wouldn't think so. Check your System Date/Time settings.

You may be aware that MacOS X cannot be infected with Win viruses, spyware, trojans and the like, but it can act as a carrier, conduit or host if you're networked or in some other way linked to Win machines that are infected, so you're being prudent in checking your machine.

I've posted this issue in OS X Operating System under a different heading, 'What's The Significance Of This Date' mentioning the strange 1 Apr '76 date on various items. Let's see what eventuates.

"user Template"?

I have this same issue. When I close a Word Document, I am asked permission to send it to another address. I discovered a security patch on the APPLE site to assist in this vulnerability but it will not allow me to " install it on this computer" please read --http://securitytracker.com/alerts/2008/Jun/1020394.html
    (Apple - Downloads - Security Updates - Security Update 2008-004 (PPC)

Thread Information