New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - "user Template"?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

acletc

acletc is on a distinguished road

I was browsing through my library files this morning and found a folder called "USER TEMPLATE". Date modified says 1-Apr-76.
I am mystified.
The folder is restricted and won't let me in even tho I am the administrator on my computer.

So my question is: Is the "USER TEMPLATE" folder supposed to be in there restricted from 1976 and if not:

2) what do I do?

Thank you for any insight..!

(Powerbok G4
OS X 10.4.11)

ps. Not to be paranoid, but all of the macs and pc's at work are being suspicious: ie. emails are being resent from months ago, without the sender ever actually having sent them.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

I've just replicated what you describe, finding the same-name folder in Computer > System > Library. I note in Get Info that the folder is dated 27 August 2008, which is the date 10.4.11 was reinstalled after a Disk Warrior repair job. I too am not able to get access (as administrator) to whatever is in the folder, not that it bothers me. The folder probably has vital OS files that should not be messed with.

How yours has got the 1 Apr 1976 date is indeed a mystery, but this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...59552&t=190670 and this http://www.time.com/time/80days/760401.html may explain something.

I cannot comment on your work situation other than I would suspect a trojan invasion of the Windows machines.
QUOTE Thanks
acletc

acletc is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply.
At least I am not the only one locked out of the user template folder.
I also noticed that iDVD and iMOVIE are now dated 1-Apr-76 as well.

As everyone at work is suspecting a virus of some sort causing the email weirdness I did scan my folders with ClamXav and MacScan. Would that modify my folder dates?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by acletc View Post
As everyone at work is suspecting a virus of some sort causing the email weirdness I did scan my folders with ClamXav and MacScan. Would that modify my folder dates?
I wouldn't think so. Check your System Date/Time settings.

You may be aware that MacOS X cannot be infected with Win viruses, spyware, trojans and the like, but it can act as a carrier, conduit or host if you're networked or in some other way linked to Win machines that are infected, so you're being prudent in checking your machine.

I've posted this issue in OS X Operating System under a different heading, 'What's The Significance Of This Date' mentioning the strange 1 Apr '76 date on various items. Let's see what eventuates.
QUOTE Thanks
Giverny

Giverny is on a distinguished road

I have this same issue. When I close a Word Document, I am asked permission to send it to another address. I discovered a security patch on the APPLE site to assist in this vulnerability but it will not allow me to " install it on this computer" please read --http://securitytracker.com/alerts/2008/Jun/1020394.html
(Apple - Downloads - Security Updates - Security Update 2008-004 (PPC)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac crashed, installed again... now have "previous system" | HTC Disk Drive (Faster File Transfer) and Mac OS X Tiger »