Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Sep 18, 2008
    Posts
    4
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 17" 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo
    Application packages
    I'm fairly new to OS-X and have a question. I realize the standard application install involves dragging the .app file to the Application panel but what about the ancillary files that are frequently separate in the disk image? Lots of times there are readme's, documentation, samples etc, that is useful to keep around but I find it kind of annoying that it isn't organized for me. Right now I've been putting the things inside the .app file after installing. Is there something I'm missing here? Seems like in trying to make it really easy to install and uninstall they missed a lot of things that are important. I know I can create directories and copy that stuff but it's kind of annoying that it's not organized for me.

  2. #2

    louishen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,968
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    Unless an app comes with an installer, it will be self contained with all resources within the package. It will write some preferences in to the library but that's it.

    It is safe to say that without an installer app, the application does not add any support files *apart from prefs) in to your system

    You can always create a folder within applications and corral the app and its read mes within that, simple but effective

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,744
    Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Wow. You're one of those type-A personalities, right? You not only read those "Read me first" files, you actually keep them around for future reference! You probably read the manual, too.

    Tell me, when you buy clothes, do you cut the tags off and file them? You know, in case you ever need to refer to the use and care instructions later?

    I'm kidding, don't get upset. If you do that, it's okay.

    Most of us crazy hippie scatterbrained Mac types don't do that stuff, though. We don't read the directions, even when we should. And we certainly don't keep the "Read me" files around. And on the Mac, we're free to do those things if we want.

    One wonders why someone of your persuasion would leave the safe, regimented world of Windows, though. But that's your business....

    Anyway, one thing I wouldn't do, though, is put them inside the application bundle. There's a reason why they're bundled up like that...so you won't mess with their contents! Of course, a careful type-A person such as yourself wouldn't screw around with things in there, but most of us can't be trusted that way, which is why they're sealed up except for the "show contents" command that's hidden inside a context menu.

    So I wouldn't recommend putting anything inside there, nor would I take anything out. But that's just me, and this is the Mac, after all, so you're free to experiment with it. (I actually do that, from time to time, but I know what I'm doing. Or at least I've convinced myself that I do.)

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Sep 18, 2008
    Posts
    4
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 17" 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo
    Thanks, louishen, I figured the answer was to do whatever I want. Just figured I'd ask.

    Technologist... are you serious? Chill out, it was a simple question.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,744
    Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by dloftus View Post
    Chill out...
    Yes, that's exactly the advice I gave you...glad it seems to have taken hold!

  6. #6

    skaheadpunk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 12, 2008
    Location
    Leicester, England
    Posts
    1,760
    Specs:
    MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
    Quote Originally Posted by technologist View Post
    Wow. You're one of those type-A personalities, right? You not only read those "Read me first" files, you actually keep them around for future reference! You probably read the manual, too.

    Tell me, when you buy clothes, do you cut the tags off and file them? You know, in case you ever need to refer to the use and care instructions later?

    I'm kidding, don't get upset. If you do that, it's okay.

    Most of us crazy hippie scatterbrained Mac types don't do that stuff, though. We don't read the directions, even when we should. And we certainly don't keep the "Read me" files around. And on the Mac, we're free to do those things if we want.

    One wonders why someone of your persuasion would leave the safe, regimented world of Windows, though. But that's your business....

    Anyway, one thing I wouldn't do, though, is put them inside the application bundle. There's a reason why they're bundled up like that...so you won't mess with their contents! Of course, a careful type-A person such as yourself wouldn't screw around with things in there, but most of us can't be trusted that way, which is why they're sealed up except for the "show contents" command that's hidden inside a context menu.

    So I wouldn't recommend putting anything inside there, nor would I take anything out. But that's just me, and this is the Mac, after all, so you're free to experiment with it. (I actually do that, from time to time, but I know what I'm doing. Or at least I've convinced myself that I do.)
    Give the poor guy a break. I think it's you who needs to chill out here.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Sep 18, 2008
    Posts
    4
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 17" 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo
    Actually, I think I have a better idea to keep things corralled.

    What I didn't like about just creating directories inside the app folder was the I loose the slick one click application startup in the applications grid view (as well as the icon). With a directory in there it dumps into finder where I have to click on it again. It also makes all the icons folders.

    But if I just create some installs hierarchy on the disk somewhere then I can create aliases in the application directory. That preserves both the icon and the one click ability.

    Quote Originally Posted by louishen View Post
    Unless an app comes with an installer, it will be self contained with all resources within the package. It will write some preferences in to the library but that's it.

    It is safe to say that without an installer app, the application does not add any support files *apart from prefs) in to your system

    You can always create a folder within applications and corral the app and its read mes within that, simple but effective

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Sep 18, 2008
    Posts
    4
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 17" 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by technologist View Post
    Yes, that's exactly the advice I gave you...glad it seems to have taken hold!
    Your name wouldn't be Nick Burns would it... http://cnettv.cnet.com/9742-1_53-11125.html

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Can't install packages
    By Shogun in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-23-2009, 12:32 PM
  2. Installing packages
    By cchekie in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 06:19 AM
  3. graphic packages
    By jonathanb234567 in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-14-2008, 04:14 PM
  4. No Valid Packages
    By d-funct in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 07:07 PM
  5. Packages
    By rcottere in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 10:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •