How should I deal with Trash?
    I understand that when I want to delete files from a memory stick that I need to drag to trash, then empty the Trash can to completely remove the files.

I created 3 x text files on the mac and saved them to my memory stick. Finder confirmed the file sizes as 4 KB each.

I took my memory stick across to a Windows machine (XP) and took a look at the files in explorer. I saw 3 x text files 1 KB in size. I had explorer reveal hidden file and folders on the memory stick and saw 3 x hidden text files at 4 KB each!

Why does XP say the files are 1 KB in size and the finder say's they are 4KB in size?

Why do I see 2 x each text file? One hidden and one not hidden?
    (See attached screenshot)

If I drag files to the trash on Mac A, and forget to empty the trash, then use the memory stick in Mac B, will the files delete in a clean manner if I want to delete the files on Mac B?

If I drag files to the trash on Mac A, and forget to empty the trash, then use the stick on a Windows PC, I will have hidden files that take up room on my stick. What is the best way to deal with this? Just have Windows show hidden files and send the unwanted files to the Recycle Bin?

Thank you in advance...
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Republic of Neptune
    Those hidden files you see are referred to as "resource forks". The likely reason that the Finder reports the text file size as 4kb is because it's taking into account the size of the resource fork (I'm only assuming here, but it seems a fair bet). For more info on what resource forks do, read this:

When dealing with portable drives that are used cross-platform, you can use an app called Blue Harvest. It can prevent the creation or copying of the resource forks to portable drives so they don't clutter up things in when used in Windows, which has no use for resource forks (Windows instead stores similar data in the clunky and ever-growing registry).

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information